Pecking order in action

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pinkrblu, Sep 8, 2013.

1. pinkrblu

pinkrblu Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2013
    Southwest Missouri
    My daughter took Wynstyn, a Silver Laced Wyandotte, to the fair yesterday. She came home with a blue ribbon, and a big pink ribbon for Reserve Champion in Standard Breeds. We we released her to forage with our other three hens, she was attacked. It took a couple hours for everyone to calm down again and stop beating her up. Luckily, other than a few less feathers, she is fine. Is this common? She was gone less than 24 hours.

2. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Congrats on the fair prizes! What you described is normal. The other hens were probably confused when she vanished mysteriously and the pecking order was thrown off balance. Things like this can happen very quickly. They just needed to put her back into place so everything could go back to normal.

3. pinkrblu

pinkrblu Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2013
    Southwest Missouri
    That is what I figured, just was a bit surprised at how quickly things got out of balance. Of course, she may have gone in there a bit cocky what with the beautiful ribbons she won!

4. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    You're probably right there!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by