Pecking order in action

pinkrblu

Chirping
7 Years
May 2, 2013
Southwest Missouri
My daughter took Wynstyn, a Silver Laced Wyandotte, to the fair yesterday. She came home with a blue ribbon, and a big pink ribbon for Reserve Champion in Standard Breeds. We we released her to forage with our other three hens, she was attacked. It took a couple hours for everyone to calm down again and stop beating her up. Luckily, other than a few less feathers, she is fine. Is this common? She was gone less than 24 hours.

My daughter took Wynstyn, a Silver Laced Wyandotte, to the fair yesterday. She came home with a blue ribbon, and a big pink ribbon for Reserve Champion in Standard Breeds. We we released her to forage with our other three hens, she was attacked. It took a couple hours for everyone to calm down again and stop beating her up. Luckily, other than a few less feathers, she is fine. Is this common? She was gone less than 24 hours.

Congrats on the fair prizes! What you described is normal. The other hens were probably confused when she vanished mysteriously and the pecking order was thrown off balance. Things like this can happen very quickly. They just needed to put her back into place so everything could go back to normal.

That is what I figured, just was a bit surprised at how quickly things got out of balance. Of course, she may have gone in there a bit cocky what with the beautiful ribbons she won!

That is what I figured, just was a bit surprised at how quickly things got out of balance. Of course, she may have gone in there a bit cocky what with the beautiful ribbons she won!

You're probably right there!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom