Pecking Order Questions

KitKat187

Chirping
May 31, 2022
Every time I think I have their pecking order figured out, something happens for me to think I'm not right. Do any of you notice that what you think is your bottom-of-the-order bird causes the most disorder? I don't know if they do this because they are trying to climb the ladder or what? I still can't totally figure out which of mine is the top hen. Are there any specific behaviors that would identify this? My flock is kind of a mess right now. I had to give one hen away (which I THINK she was bottom), because I have a hen that has mobility issues after a broken leg healed. She can't walk as well or move as fast and she was a target by everyone at first, but the one hen was just ruthless with her causing her to get injured again. But then that makes me think she was boss too. I can't tell!! I rehomed her to a wonderful home that is going to be better for her with more free-ranging. Still a hard decision. So now things are calmer in that sense, BUT, I also have 10-week-old chicks that were integrated a couple of weeks ago. Everyone was fine at first, but now I see a couple of my hens constantly challenging them. At least the babies can run away. LOL They are MUCH faster. The babies seem to stay away from the big girls as much as possible. Will this calm down or will it get worse as the babies get bigger and start to try to fit themselves in the order?

Just trying to understand what to expect and what I shouldn't worry about. And if anyone has any insight on what to watch for that can help me figure out the pecking order, that would be great! For example, does top hen go in and get on the roost first?? I feel like the ones on the bottom aren't even invited in yet until everyone else has settled.....

Anytime a new chicken is introduced into the flock the whole pecking order will change no matter the age of the chickens the breed the size or anything. Give it some time but if they start getting aggressive or the chicken start getting hurt then you need to break up any fights a pet care in there will be okay but repeated packing or cornering or fighting needs to be stopped

To stop a pecking order

What we did is get a Rooster. Rooster's will keep the ladies in line. We have no pecking order in our girls. We have two Roosters.
Here is an article I found years ago when one of our Hens were killing all our Australorp girls. She was pecking at the head of Hens. Once the Hen has a taste of blood she will continue until you end the one doing this. That is what my hubby did. Feed store told us she should of been ended long before this even happened. Hope something works for you.
We don't free range and they have a big run so plenty of room to get away if they need to.

https://animals.mom.com/how-to-stop-hens-from-fighting-7793631.html

We have found that pecking order is somewhat fluid in our flock. Anytime you move a chicken in or out, the pecking order can change. In addition, once the new girls start to lay, the pecking order will change as the youngest start to move up. Eventually, you will reach some stability, especially in the top ranks, but often the mid to lower hens will shift up or down a spot every few weeks. And yes, your bottom is is causing chaos because she wants to move up the ladder 🙂
We have been fortunate that our top hen, Holly, has a pretty strong personality and keeps everyone in line including our cockerel. It did take her a while to claim the top spot permanently though.
For example, does top hen go in and get on the roost first?? I feel like the ones on the bottom aren't even invited in yet until everyone else has settled.....
In our flock, Holly,goes into the coop last. I think she feels comfortable enough to know that she can grab some last mouthfuls of food before going into the coop and making everyone else move from her preferred spot.
We try not to mess with the pecking order, but we have never had anyone draw blood in a pecking order dispute either. Our one rule is that there is no pecking order on or immediately around the humans.

The babies seem to stay away from the big girls as much as possible. Will this calm down or will it get worse as the babies get bigger and start to try to fit themselves in the order?
100% normal, and your young birds are handling things correctly by running away. Young birds that aren't yet laying are not fully accepted into the flock by the older laying age birds. Once they reach point of lay they'll be much more fully integrated into the flock in a way they weren't before.

Back
Top Bottom