Pecking Order

Syryn

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 28, 2014
Hello BYC,

I'm a newbie when it comes to raising chickens. I have a question on the pecking order. I have 4 chicks that I got together and they all have been getting along fine. I recently purchased 2 more a Buff Orpington and a Silver Wyandotte. When I put them in the brooder one of my chicks, Kona went berserk and started chasing the Wyandotte down. Kona would not stop pecking her for the first few minutes and is keeping a close eye on the one Wyandotte ever since then. It has not touched or even given a second glance to the Buff Orpington.

They're just establishing the pecking order, right? Or should I be worried?

Thanks,
Syryn

welcome-byc.gif

It's all about dominance - you should be worried if blood is being drawn or the Wyandotte is not getting enough to eat or drink.

My four month old rooster pecks the ladies
sometimes I have to remind him whose boss
1f61c.png
. It is all about dominance, he's tough guy!

Yup. its fine. my chickens have one too. i have a laying hen, a nearly laying hen and a 10 week chick.

the laying hen- friends with chick, not friends with Other hen
un laying hen- 50/50 with laying hen, enimies with chick
chick- tries to be friends with un lsying hen, is friends with laying hen

Thanks for the help. I figured I was worrying over nothing but had to be sure. They seem to be getting along now and hopefully it will stay that way. :)

Im a newbie as well, I had 1 EE and 1 BO a couple days old, then added 1 BR and 1 Welsummer. At first the EE was a brat to the BO, now the roles have flipped. My BO is the brat, she would'nt leave the Welsummer alone, yesterday I seperated her from them with a divider made out of wire. She was so mad, but when I put her back in that night she stopped harassing the Welsummer. She still pecks a little but not the eyeballs and vent like she was. Some of it was pecking order but some of it was probably stress.

Back
Top Bottom