Pecking out of boredom?

lyndatu

Songster
12 Years
Nov 13, 2007
I read on another thread that chickens would peck others if they're bored. Is this true? If yes, what should I do to keep them entertained?

Once again,

Thanks in advance?

Hi, lyndatu.

Search this forum for chicken toys, entertainment. As I remember, people suggest making a cabbage tetherball, and other interesting things.

My chickens do seem to peck at each other when they are bored/discontented - like when they get cooped up after a luxurious weekend of (supervised) free-ranging. My 3 girls had gotten along very well together until their 25th week, then the RIR pecked my poor little white legorn's comb bloody! (It WOULD be the white chicken that's a mess!)

I read on this forum to put mentholatum on the comb of the picked chicken - it worked great! (I put antibiotic ointment on first, though.) She seems to like having her comb massaged! The RIR got a mouthful and was SOOOO disgusted - she wiped her beak off as fast as she could - and I haven't seen any further picking!

Thanks everyone here at BYC! Your combined chicken wisdom has been very helpful!

Back
Top Bottom