Peeling, scabby, sore duck feet! Advice very welcome please.

Team PJ

Chirping
Feb 1, 2019
Hello everyone,

Posted a few times when we first got our little flock last year, having to deal with bumblefoot, and it's back!

So we're treating this bumble from what we learnt before. Epsom soaks, purple vet antiseptic spray, removed the scab and it has been reducing in size...

However... in the mean time her feet have become really sore & scabby, most of her nails have fallen off and when we handle her they often crack and bleed.

Initially I thought we needed to keep her feet dry, and that the Epsom soaks had caused her skin to do this. I've just read something that says duck feet peel when they're dehydrated! So I'm really confused as to what to do for the best!

She isn't eating or drinking much, and just sits in the crate in the house, even when she has a friend in with her. We've run just a plain water bath a couple of times to let her swim/clean herself and she drinks the water from there, so I chucked in a couple of meal worms/corn and she's eating bits of that, but not much.

She's getting stressed with all the handling and fussing, and they're obviously sore, so would love some advice if anyone has any experience of this.

Thank you :)

Hello everyone,

Posted a few times when we first got our little flock last year, having to deal with bumblefoot, and it's back!

So we're treating this bumble from what we learnt before. Epsom soaks, purple vet antiseptic spray, removed the scab and it has been reducing in size...

However... in the mean time her feet have become really sore & scabby, most of her nails have fallen off and when we handle her they often crack and bleed.

Initially I thought we needed to keep her feet dry, and that the Epsom soaks had caused her skin to do this. I've just read something that says duck feet peel when they're dehydrated! So I'm really confused as to what to do for the best!

She isn't eating or drinking much, and just sits in the crate in the house, even when she has a friend in with her. We've run just a plain water bath a couple of times to let her swim/clean herself and she drinks the water from there, so I chucked in a couple of meal worms/corn and she's eating bits of that, but not much.

She's getting stressed with all the handling and fussing, and they're obviously sore, so would love some advice if anyone has any experience of this.

Thank you :)

I won't be much help, but the people who would be are going to need some pictures. Multiple angels is best so they are able to see all the affected tissues. Best of luck with your feathered friend. :hugs

@Miss Lydia
@casportpony

Last edited:
Thanks for your responses, here are some pictures from just now. We'd just put her in the bath for 10 mins hoping she'd drink more but she doesn't seem interested.

They've peeled off a lot more since I posted, and just look so raw :(

Attachments

• 20200124_111636.jpg
    20200124_111636.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20200124_111739.jpg
    20200124_111739.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20200124_111808.jpg
    20200124_111808.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 22

Back