Peeling, scabby, sore duck feet! Advice very welcome please.

I can't fathom a ducks foot getting frostbite at or just below freezing. I have seen post where people have their ducks at -40 and they don't have frostbite.
Yes exactly, birds just aren’t built that way.

I know people swear by epsom salt baths, but maybe too much of a good thing? I spend a LOT of time with my hands immersed in salty water, and if I get lazy and don’t wear gloves every time, it only takes a couple days to get dried up old man hands (I am neither old nor a man lol) and then what I’ve dubbed “handruff”.....which has been followed by severe cracking, but I usually don’t let it get that far. It hurts and it’s hard to heal, so if it’s at all analogous to the op’s duck, I feel for the poor thing!

And as for Epsom salt we have used it for treating injuries and bumble foot with great success. I was just thinking out loud that maybe soaking for short times it might help aid in healing. Just put the question out there in hopes someone who knows about treating severe frost bite in poultry.

@aart who is the expert on the emergency thread that knows how to treat frost bite?
I am not an expert on any emergency.
Comb frostbite I never touch, just let it slowly heal.
Have never dealt with feet frostbite here.

Not sure we know this IS frostbite.
Maybe thread should be moved to the emergency forum.

I remember a while back on the emergency thread one of the educators was giving info on frostbite an how to treat just can’t remember who it was just thought you might know. I’ve have a few mild cases here an do the same just let it heal slowly

Thanks for all your concern, and helpful posts. The vetwrap arrived today, I'm waiting on some tripleantibiotic which should be arriving tomorrow and will start with those. In the mean time I've avoided getting her feet wet, shes on clean straw in a warm outbuilding with a friend for company.

I'm wondering whether the initial Epsom salt soaks in warm water are the initiation of the feet peeling. We had a bit of peeling with the first bumblefoot duck we had last year but not to do this degree, and that duck had been out in the snow.

This duck hasnt been subjected to the really cold temperatures outside. It was hovering around 6 degrees during the day before the cold spell hit, by which point she was already indoors. I'd be really surprised if it was actually frostbite... but I'm obviously no expert.

Will update when the ointment arrives.

Back
Top Bottom