1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Peepers question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rusty Hills Farm, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    My favorite roo has discovered he likes the eggs! Before I cull him, I thought maybe I'd try using a peeper on him. Has anyone done this to cure egg eating?

I've already tried grape soda, which slowed him down but did not end the problem. Oh, and he's too smart to fool with wooden eggs--tried that one too.

All suggestions welcome.

Rusty

2. Smokehouse13

Smokehouse13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vevay,Indiana
    HI, Try putting a couple of fake eggs in a dark nest box,maybe a cat litter box with the lid, line it with some shavings or something to that effect. What your trying to do is make a dark nest box,something that's not to easy for him to get the eggs. If that doesn't work I heard from somebody that they used hot sauce in a blown out egg,they put it in the coop and let him peck it. Also heard that if you hang a cabbage in the coop it will give them something else to peck at. Just a few ideas... Hope you find a way to stop him.

3. Dr.Doorlock

Dr.Doorlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    I have had the best possible reults using peepers to keep my hens from pecking, but I can't see how they would help unless the hens were laying them on a shelf at the roo's shoulder height. They can still peck anything on the ground or at their feet.

You know those harmless snap-n-pop things kids throw on the ground? Maybe you could make a "loaded" egg. A few pops from a hard peck would send a loud message.

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I've also had wonderful success with the peepers as an anti-pecking device, but they don't stop the chicken from eating, or even from catching worms or bugs.

Unfortunately, the only answer I've ever gotten to egg eater questions is "cull, they'll never stop."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by