Peeping Eggs in boiling water- OMG!!!

Whimsical Farming Wife

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 21, 2009
Our family went on vacation for some time, and throughout the weeks leading up to and while we were away- the eggs were collected and left to sit in one large bucket kept on a shelf in the coop. Once we were home, I brought the bucket in and left it in our mudroom for app. an additional week. Yesterday I washed up the eggs to make a bunch of boiled egg recipes (I figured that the eggs were a little older, but would be easy peelers).
Much to my shock & horror, when I put 4 of the eggs into the almost boiling water, I HEARD PEEPING!!!
ep.gif
Ugh.
hit.gif
So I made a decision that the 4 in the pot could not possibly be in good shape at this point, so I cooled and garbaged them- BUT- I still had a counterful of washed eggs (washed with slightly cool water)! I promptly pulled out the incubator, and now have it full of 42 eggs.
I am looking for some opinions... do you think these eggs will hatch, and if so- will they be healthy? Typically when I am collecting eggs to hatch, I change their position at least once a day... but most of these eggs were sitting stationary for weeks!
Also- how in the world did one or more of those eggs start developing (to the point of peepability) while in a cool bucket?!
I am quite shocked... and would love some thoughts on my strange scenario!

if they have a temp over 75F they will develop... might be slow but they will develop....
I would candle them all and only incubate the ones with veins or more growth. pull all the clears and cook them up.

was the bucket moved when they put eggs in it? (pulled off shelf/tipped back on shelf)
Might hatch fine...

Yes! The bucket did have to be picked up to add eggs every time... I didn't think of that. With the candling~ I haven't actually done candling before... and I'm not sure if I trust my judgment!
Now the temperature... it has been no higher than 10C here... and I don't keep my house any warmer than 20C. My understanding was that the eggs go into a sort of stasus until they are incubated in the right conditions. I didn't think that they started slowly developing?!

Back
Top Bottom