Peeping Eggs in boiling water- OMG!!!

That is so awesome! I can't wait to hear how many more hatch!
woot.gif

So we're at 4 hatched now, and I have 4 in there who are having great difficulty making their way out of the shell. I hate this. I really want them to hatch, but it goes against my instinct to help them out. I worry that by helping them, I'll be creating a weak, maybe unhealthy flock. (Not to mention that I don't have time to do what I have seen is a rather slow process of helping them out!)
I am going to take the 4 hatched out, and add some water. The incubator looks quite dry... maybe that has something to do with it? I am also going to read around on the site for suggestions with this issue. What a fantastic resource BYC is!

I...*cough* always *cough* help mine. ONLY when they are shrinkwrapped though.. and that is often. I have become a pro at it, knowing when and where to cut the membrane, when to let the chick take over, how to tell when the veins are ok to cut through.. they bleed to death easy though so watch it. if you accidentally break a main vein (in the membrane) apply gauze and pray. lol.

The four eggs that were submerged in the boiling water (and emitted frantic peeping sounds) were chilled and garbaged.
hit.gif
It was sad, and a hard decision to make. I had no idea what was going to come out of those eggs, how far along they were, etc. If it was just the 4 eggs, I would have put them in the incubator alone, but because I had the giant bucket of eggs to start in the bator, I figured that was the more sensible decision.

Couldn't the four have been placed in the incubator and if they made it to hatching, taken out and the rest of the eggs left alone? I know nothing of incubators... maybe it cannot be opened once the eggs are started? Shame about those four, but good luck with the rest

I just learned what 'shrinkwrapped' means on another thread here. I think I had this happen last time I hatched too (I ended up with 2 who just couldn't get out)!!! I just opened the lid and added some water in a desperate attempt to add humidity. There are actually 5 in there trying to get out
fl.gif
. It's quite difficult to watch... and INCREDIBLY distracting! I work from home, and these last 2 days have been a write-off!

Couldn't the four have been placed in the incubator and if they made it to hatching, taken out and the rest of the eggs left alone? I know nothing of incubators... maybe it cannot be opened once the eggs are started? Shame about those four, but good luck with the rest

The issue with that, is that I use an automatic egg turner which has to be removed only a couple days before hatch (so that is doesn't hurt the hatching chicks). I suppose I could have hand turned all of the eggs.

if you are having shrinkwrap issues.....
get a spray bottle with hot water and mist inside the bator... only crack the lid enough to spray.
OR add a sponge/rag that has been soaked in hot water

the spray is instant and can help the eggs in trouble, keep eye on membrane and humidity while spraying
the sponge/rag is longer term but best used when eggs are starting to show signs of trouble.

good luck and would love to see photos.

The issue with that, is that I use an automatic egg turner which has to be removed only a couple days before hatch (so that is doesn't hurt the hatching chicks). I suppose I could have hand turned all of the eggs.

I see. I know nothing about bators and hand turning sounds like a lot of work with how and when to turn each one....
I have broody ducks do all of my work for me. Those four may not have made it anyway; unfortunate situation; how could one have known????
Post pics of the new babies when you can.

Back
Top Bottom