"Peepless" the mute chick?

MamaMarcy

Songster
8 Years
Aug 28, 2011
Snohomish, WA
I had 5 buckeye chicks hatch over past 12 to 36 hours. I put them in the brooder once they were fluffified to find one dead on it's back several hours later. Another was on it's back but alive, so I immediately brought it back into the incubator and it looks fantastic now. Only thing it, it's not peeping. It looks like it's peeping, but all that comes out is a faint little hiss/whisper.

Is it possible this little chickie is mute?? Can that even happen in chickens? It's hatchlings all have LOUD peeps.

Thanks...

Marcy

Last edited:
it's the next day....still not a peep. Just a little "click/hiss" when he's trying. He seems ok otherwise.

My 8 yo told me it's just like the book he's reading "The Trumpet of the Swan" where Louis the trumpeter swan can't trumpet.

So, I put a small dish of water and a tsp of cooked oatmeal in the incubator for her. She took 2 sips of water and seems to get it down ok. I know they don;t "need" food/water for 3 days but it's trying to peep so I figured why not try to meet needs. I'm about to look for a small stuffed animal to keep it company. I want to keep it inside with me at least til dinner time.

I don't know if this will help. But I had a chick that was mute. It died a couple of days later. I say keep doing what your doing and it will be fine! :) Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

I don't know specifically about chickens being mute, but birds have their syrinx for vocalizing. Any genetic/developmental defects to that will cause an issue with peeping. There may be other defects you can't detect so he might have trouble down the road.

Also, don't they need water if they are staying in the incubator??? You'll want to keep him hydrated...

Back
Top Bottom