Peeps it's all your fault!!!!

Bwhaahahahah.......
lau.gif
gig.gif

Quote:
LOL, well when I saw it all I could think of was all the pretty colors you hatch out. I know nothing about incubators but I have read all the posts on here and I have a feeling I will be asking a lot of questions. It is not a top notch incubator, it's a little giant without the fan so I know I will have to add that BUT it does have a turner. I got it for 28.00 so I thought that wasn't to bad since it does have the turner.

I have it plugged in now to check the temp and it is heating up and the turner has moved.

Now I need to know what type thermometer and hygrometer I need to get and where do I place them in the incubator. Oh I am going to need help putting in the fan as well. LG has a fan kit that wires into the heat element wiring, can I wire in a puter fan into that same wiring or do I have to wire it to something like a cell phone charger?

So many questions, LOL.

I have an empty incubator and have been chewing my fingernails trying not to turn it back on..
E-bay has some nice eggs for sale...

I think its funny everyone blames Peeps!
big_smile.png
wink.png

Quote:
It's easy 'cause she lives so far away from me, lol. I have a guinea hen that I know has a nest someplace out in the woods that I am going to have to get serious about finding and hatching some out. I haven't had any of hers hatch out yet this season.

I am going to get some things done when the weather cools, turn my rabbit shed into a guinea coop, section some of it off for brooding. Let my pearls free-range and my other colors pen for breeding. Dang it, I knew I shouldn't have looked at those last pictures Peeps posted!

Quote:
LOL, well when I saw it all I could think of was all the pretty colors you hatch out. I know nothing about incubators but I have read all the posts on here and I have a feeling I will be asking a lot of questions. It is not a top notch incubator, it's a little giant without the fan so I know I will have to add that BUT it does have a turner. I got it for 28.00 so I thought that wasn't to bad since it does have the turner.

I have it plugged in now to check the temp and it is heating up and the turner has moved.

Now I need to know what type thermometer and hygrometer I need to get and where do I place them in the incubator. Oh I am going to need help putting in the fan as well. LG has a fan kit that wires into the heat element wiring, can I wire in a puter fan into that same wiring or do I have to wire it to something like a cell phone charger?

So many questions, LOL.

$28 with a turner WOW !!! That's a great deal, good job
thumbsup.gif
Hopefully it maintains a steady temp for you. Make sure it's not in direct sunlight or exposed to any drafts so it can maintain a consistent temp night and day. You also do not want it in a spot that gets giggled frequently or any type of vibration.

A fan is great, but you don't really need one to have a decent hatch, just be sure to rotate the eggs around in the auto turner at least once a week so they all incubate at a more even rate (tho I do prefer forced air incubation for my Guinea eggs, personal choice on MY part tho). Besides my 2 Hovabator Genesis 1588s with turners (my favs) I also have a Fall Harvest Product brand incubator with a built in fan and an auto turner (also a decent incubator set up), PLUS I have 2 Little Giants that I have added fans to...

One LG I use for incubating my extra eggs (and I occasionally use it as a 2nd hatcher if I need it), the other LG is a designated hatcher only (because hatches are messy/poopy/stinky, lol). I just used a cheapo $10 PC fan in each LG (you may be able to get one free from a PC repair shop) and a couple 12 volt power supplies from old cordless phones that I've had for years, but if you want to order the fan kit that's specifically for the LG, it comes with mounting instructions included. I'm sure a more electrically inclined/skilled person could have just tapped into the existing wiring but I didn't want to risk frying the heater and temp control unit, so I have 2 cords plus the turner cord sticking out the back, lol... BUT THEY WORK!

Anyway... First I test fitted the PC fan and figured out where it needed to be mounted, then I very gently poked a couple holes in the incubator top with an icepick, mounted the PC fans inside the bators (facing up so it blows air up at the top of the incubator so it blows air up instead of down on the eggs) with some spacers between the fans and the incubator tops to space the fan away from the tops a little, (I used a couple really thin, long bolts that were long enough to go all the way thru each fan, the spacers and the incubator tops), and then used some small washers and nuts on the outside of the incubator top to hold it all together (gently tightened as to not break the thin styrofoam tops), then I stripped and spliced the power wires together, wrapped them with a couple small pieces of electrical tape and then used a piece of shrink wrap tubing over the splice. Plugged it all in an Tah-dahhhh! Presto, 2 more circulated air incubators with turners
wink.png

A circulated air incubator needs to maintain a temp of 99.5° F, and just a still air incubator I'd aim for the temp to be around 101.5°-102.5° F and I HIGHLY recommend a digital thermometer/hygrometer.... I bought a couple different ones from Walmart and RadioShack for around $20 each... or you can order one online too, you may find a better deal (I did get my original one from Cuttler's but it was expensive, and I had to wait a week to get it, blah!). The digital ones are really easy to be able to peek in and see the temp and the humidity with just a quick glance. Since all of the thermo/hygro units I bought are fairly flat/thin units I just lay them on top of the eggs (or on top of the turner for now to monitor the temp stability before you add eggs) and I usually switch sides once or twice during the test run to see how consistent the temps are on each side of the incubator.

Since my normal humidity level here is pretty low I always add water to 2 of the troughs on the bottom and keep them full to maintain around 50%-55% humidity during incubation until day 23-24 when it's time for lock-down (you may not need more than one filled tho). Then when it's time for lock-down I remove the egg turner and use paper or plastic egg cartons to hold the eggs in for hatching (another personal choice of mine, you can lay the eggs flat on the floor if you choose). Oh and if you can use some of the rubberized shelf liner after you take the turner out to line he bottom of the incubator, it helps keep the hatching mess contained a LOT better too.

Feel free to post any other incubating questions you have, or PM me, I'll be glad to help... BUT AS I HAVE STATED BEFORE, I AM NOT AN ENABLER AND MAKE NO CLAIMS TO BE ONE
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom