Peeps Journey.

Good luck I'm glad you are trying again. I'm so sorry this happened but at least you have more experience and more knowledge this time you can do this.
hugs.gif

Today was kinda heartbreaking but I'm not going to let it get me down. At least I tried with the best of my know how. This morning I found two baby finches dead at the bottom of my cage. We went to the Duck Pond and when we came back there were two more baby finches at the bottom of the cage, but they were alive. So the wipes warmer you see that has Finches written on it- that's their home to keep them warm for now. Here we go again with the every 30 minute feedings. I've tried many times to foster baby finches and haven't succeeded. I won't give up tho. I can't. When I find them like this they have no possible chance of survival unless I take over. At the duck pond we found two eggs. These are the smallest duck eggs I have ever seen. I wrote chicken egg on a store bought egg to show the size comparisons. The other picture has a name written on each egg. Amare means love in Latin and Dilexi means loved in Latin. That is their names and I will start incubation Monday in the wipe warmer labled eggs. The last picture I cut these little holders out of toilet paper rolls. I learned (too late) you cannot incubate a duck egg on its side. Incubators are made to slant which keeps the point of the egg down and the fat end of the egg up higher. Here is why Peep died. I laid it flat.... As the baby grows the air pocket gets bigger. If it is laid flat the air pocket forms but also forms a huge air gap along the other side of the egg. As the baby grows and get a bigger, it will move around more. So between its movements and me rotating the eggs, the air sack tore. Because the yolk is connected to the air gap from it being on its aide, it tore the yolk, which then broke the blood vessels, and the result was poor Peep went to Heaven. So now I know what to and not to do on that part. I could be wrong and/or used the wrong words but I have spent all day looking for answers and found alot of helpful info. I am still researching and taking notes preparing for Monday. I don't even know if these are fertile but I won't candle them till day 7 as suggested. Maybe I got over excited and handled it too much when I should have just left it alone. I am sad it is gone but I am truly blessed to have experienced what I did. It was enough to give me the hope to try once more. I won't give up.

I hope your little finches make it. You would make a great rehabber taking care of birds. Bless your heart for trying to hatch Peep. He's in heaven now waddling around and quacking. Those eggs are small my duck eggs are usually bigger then my chicken eggs. I wish you all the luck with these new eggs, keeping my fingers crossed they hatch for you.
hugs.gif

Some people are so rude. On my own personal Facebook a family member told me to just leave the duck eggs alone and the ducks will do what they gotta do. I'm doing this to myself. Yep I am. I'm not taking these eggs from a nest. They are laid on rocks and in the grass where people walk and kids play. Its a duck pond park. I won't pass up the opportunity to save or give life. I will never not try.

Some people are so rude. On my own personal Facebook a family member told me to just leave the duck eggs alone and the ducks will do what they gotta do. I'm doing this to myself. Yep I am. I'm not taking these eggs from a nest. They are laid on rocks and in the grass where people walk and kids play. Its a duck pond park. I won't pass up the opportunity to save or give life. I will never not try.
Are you going to release them once they hatch? Most don't think that is a good idea including myself since they will imprint on the first person or animal they see which means you will be their mama. Long term plans are important.

Sorry about Peep .

Don't pay attention to the rudeness. I think your doing the right thing. At least you are giving them a chance for life.

I know they will imprint :) I have raised a ton of baby birds... Bluejays, redbirds, mocking birds so on so forth and released them. These lil ducks... Nope i will keep them as pets. I already have a broodwr made, a bed for when they are out of the brooder, a small swimming pool for when thwy have feathers. I have thought about long term before they even get here :)

I know they will imprint
smile.png
I have raised a ton of baby birds... Bluejays, redbirds, mocking birds so on so forth and released them. These lil ducks... Nope i will keep them as pets. I already have a broodwr made, a bed for when they are out of the brooder, a small swimming pool for when thwy have feathers. I have thought about long term before they even get here
smile.png
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom