Peeps?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by K7 Menagerie, Jul 3, 2008.

1. K7 Menagerie

K7 Menagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    Bend, OR
    FIRST TIMER!!!!! I'm on day 18 right now with a batch of Easter Eggers. I just moved them from the incubator to my hatchery (fish tank with light bulb keeping the temp at 99, wet sponge to bring the humidity up. Should I be hearing/seeing anything at this point? I thought I heard some movement, but haven't heard any peeping. Thanks!

Sorry....the 90 I had in there before was a typo....meant 99

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  2. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Hey [​IMG]

you should try to get your temp up around 99.5 or 100... i think 90 is a little to low

and since it's day 18 you sould see ( if you don't have the eggs in a carton ).. you should see some wiggling a little bit [​IMG]

and most the time you wont see a pip till day 19 and up.. everytime i hatch chicken eggs they always pip on day 20 but people have had eggs pip on day 19 [​IMG]

Good luck with your Hatch and keep us all posted

3. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Temp at egg level should be right at 100 degrees if at all possible. Eggs kept at lower temps are likely to hatch late (1-4 days late) or not at all.
    Would it be possible to return the eggs to incubator where temp would probably be easier to regulate? Once chicks hatch and dry off a little you could transfer them to the fish tank. A temp between 95 and 100 would be best for chicks for the first week after they're born, and you can reduce the temp by 5 degrees each week after that.
    Hoping for the best for you! Hatching is challenging to manage!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by