PEI

Welcome to BYC Broody with chicks.jpeg

It is great to have you here!

thanks everyone for the great welcome,

update on our hen, she is acting a little better, even went up in the roost but now we have 2 hens that aren't laying eggs, hopefully tomorrow there will be 4.

this morning there were 2 hens in the bottom of the coop and there was a broken egg. I pulled out the shell but the egg was completely gone. the she belonged to one of the hens that is still laying eggs, now this evening I picked up our sick hen and tried to make her feel better, just petting her and checking to see if I could feel anything odd and I thought she pooped on me but she actually produced an egg without the shell, needless to say the others took no time to gobbled it up but my concern was her. I checked her and I don't see any egg shell, is it possible the shell wasn't formed yet or is it still in her?

New layers will often produce shell less or soft shelled eggs... Make sure they have free choice calcium (oyster shell) available. You can also offer a crushed up tums tablet for a calcium boost. What are they eating now?

:weeHello from New Brunswick, and welcome....although a little belated welcome at that.
PEI a beautiful province in deed. My brother and family live in Stratford.
I’ve crossed the bridge a few times over the years.
Love to help out with the goose population now and again.
My Granddaughter and I are new to chickens as well.

New layers will often produce shell less or soft shelled eggs... Make sure they have free choice calcium (oyster shell) available. You can also offer a crushed up tums tablet for a calcium boost. What are they eating now?

thanks for the replies, we are renting the chickens and they came with their staple organic feed, which we have been giving them along with greens and herbs, watermelon, we were mixing the greens and herbs with some pasta or rice however we have cut that back and replaced it with their feed with the greens and herbs. They have oyster shells as well and there are oyster shells in their feed too. the hen that laid the shell/membrane free egg, was the sick hen, not sure what was going on, she seems to have rebounded since she let the egg out, but we still haven't gotten 4 egg on the same day since last thursday

Back
Top Bottom