pekin bantam chickens egg laying

Lround

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 26, 2014
When do pekin bantams start laying eggs? I have had three hens (and one cock) since they were chicks, they are now approximately ten months old and none of them have layed... I have never owned chickens before these but did a fair bit or research! I thought they started laying around 5 months? Does the outside temperature or living conditions affected them in any way with this? They have a huge coop and a run that is the length of my garden and constant fresh food and pellets given to them daily as well as fresh water... Any help on this would be brilliant. Thank you all in advance.

Usually a chicken of any breed will start to lay anywhere between 5-8 months. I have two pekin girls, one started laying at around six months the other is almost 7 months and we haven't gotten a single egg yet. Things like weather can affect laying as most chickens will stop laying in the winter or when it gets cold. Stress is also another factor, if a chicken is being pulled or if it is overcrowded (although this doesn't seem to be a problem with you flock) can reduce the number of eggs you get. For now I think patience is key as chickens don't always follow the rules, as I've had a hen that started laying at nine months, and one that started laying at three. Good luck, I hope your girls start laying soon :D!

Thank you for your reply! Funnily enough two days after posting this question one of my ladies laid her first egg, and less than a week later I have all three girls laying!! Very excited now :)

Back
Top Bottom