Pekin Bantams What sex?

I hope so, too. Cochins are great little chickens to have as pets. I used to have a flock of them with more than one rooster. They did spat a little, but didn't really hurt one another.

Is the birchen colour particular to males? We only have regular laying hes so have no experience with bantams before.
Actually, the birds aren't birchen. Birchen is when they are black with white on the neck (females), or black with white on the wings and neck (male). Both males and females can be birchen, but none of your birds are.

This is what birchen Cochins look like:

BirchenBtyP.JPEG
The hen. Picture fromFeathersite.com

BirchenBtyCkl.JPEG
A rooster. Photo from Feathersite.com

Your birds don't appear to be any real color. They are likely mixes of several color varieties, including black.

Will 2 bantam roosters be ok together in the same pen as they grow?
If they don't have any hens, roosters usually get along great, especially if they are raised together. My roosters get along fine, even though some of them are younger than others and are different breeds. Cochin roosters are usually rather docile. If you want to keep them with hens, you'll probably need at least 15 so that the hens don't get overmated.

Actually, the birds aren't birchen. Birchen is when they are black with white on the neck (females), or black with white on the wings and neck (male). Both males and females can be birchen, but none of your birds are.

This is what birchen Cochins look like:

BirchenBtyP.JPEG
The hen. Picture fromFeathersite.com

BirchenBtyCkl.JPEG
A rooster. Photo from Feathersite.com

Your birds don't appear to be any real color. They are likely mixes of several color varieties, including black.
Thank you. No I agree they are definitely a mix of different colours mostly brown/black and reds. They came from a local farmer who breeds hand raised birds for sale, but they are not presented as being anything "pure". First time we have had bantams and they have great personalities and want to be with people as much as possible.

Back
Top Bottom