Pekin Bumblefoot

Crazy k farm is better. I ordered some from party fowl, waited 6 months never got them. Cancelled my order and I never heard anything back about our cancellation.
This was my exact experience. Ordered, months went by. Contacted. No reply. Contacted again, no reply. Tried to cancel order, nothing. Krazy K Farm has been good though. Although I've been too nervous to try to get the booties on any of the ducks. My pekin struggles so much usually and nobody else has had problems since I've gotten them.

As for bumblefoot, my Pekin has had bumblefoot on and off and we've been to terrified of making the issue worse by operating. When we've taken him to the vet, the vet told us the scab wasn't bumblefoot (??) but did give us antibiotics. Our last infection looked enormous, about as bad as yours does and it came on quickly. Originally we did epsom salt soaks for 30m each duck but we've lowered this to about 15-20 minutes. I'll dab/rub at the wound with iodine, spray with Banixx or Vetericyn, along with neosporin. Basically whatever I can do topically without operating or cutting.

Treating it topically has worked but it takes considerable time; enough time that I always debate cutting. Soaking usually gets wet, someone tried to drink the water, but worse of all is wrapping the feet. If I could pay someone to just wrap the feet for me I would. My pekin is SO heavy, he is just so unwieldy and I'm desperate to not hurt him. Everyone else is smaller and easier to handle, but I guess that's part of why they don't have the same issues...

Update: so I saw the vet last month and she listened to me and cut the scab off, but said there was no infected core, just inflamed tissue. Did not want to change antibiotics, so I’ve given them a few more weeks of shots. Eloise is about the same? But Theo’s foot and leg are now very swollen and she can’t walk. I have her crated in my warm laundry room.
I’m feeling like possibly she needs to be put to sleep because she’s certainly in a lot of pain, and the shots, soaking, ointment, veterycin, etc, aren’t working.
I’m at a loss. And I just don’t have time to do more.

I have been dealing with bumblefoot in my Runner. She had a terrible case. It was so bad that I am ashamed of myself. And 2 of my other duckies had rough sports and injuries on their toes that were looking like early infections.

I finally cured it without cutting:
  • Nightly soaks in Tricide Neo (fish antibiotics - expensive, but worth it)
  • Debride tissue after every soak
  • Pack with antibiotics and wrap with vet wrap
  • Baytril 2x a day for 3 weeks
  • Changed their substrate to pelletized horse bedding that's been reduced to crumbly sawdust
We've been bumblefoot free for a few weeks now, and all my duckies' feet are baby soft again.

Back
Top Bottom