Pekin, definately a pullet?

I could be wrong, but I still say hen.
The feathering and comb at 13 looks pullet. On my screen at zoom, the saddle area at 17 weeks looks to be penciling on rounded feathers, not actual streamers.

You may simply have to wait for crow or egg, but I say don't give up yet on it being a hen.

And please let us know when you figure it out.

LofMc

Thank you for your replies everyone. I'm pretty positive it's a she. The breeder was very knowledgeable and her male sibling looked very different. I had some bantam roos I hatched and sold when they were younger than she was and one was a pekin. He had prominent saddle feathers and had already started crowing.

It's just I put her up for sale and someone messaged me through the app telling me she was a roo and it's just made me paranoid and I've started second guessing myself...
I honestly wouldn't have had any doubts if I hadn't have gotten that message.

Looks like a cockerel to me. The attached image is of one of my Pekin pullets at 20 weeks. Notice the lack of color and wattle/comb size? With that much color and size to the wattles and comb at 17 weeks - looks like you have a cockerel.

20191126_165241.jpg

Yep, definitely a roo. He crowed for the first time too this morning and attempted to mount my two month old Cochin pullet so he’ll have to be separated because he’s in my nursery run with youngsters smaller than him and I don’t want him to hurt any of them. Hopefully I can find him a good home. I’ll be contacting the breeder too because I paid for a pullet, hopefully she’s honest.

How long did you have him before you started this thread? The breeder should have been able to look at your photos you posted here and know immediately he was a cockerel. Pekins/Banty Cochins a very slow to mature. Hopefully they will swap him out for you with no fuss! :D

How long did you have him before you started this thread? The breeder should have been able to look at your photos you posted here and know immediately he was a cockerel. Pekins/Banty Cochins a very slow to mature. Hopefully they will swap him out for you with no fuss! :D

I had him since just before Christmas. I did question it when I picked him up but he must have matured slower than his hatch mates because the breeder compared him to one that was very clearly a boy.
Story does have a happy ending, the breeder refunded me and the boy is going to my mum's friend who has a flock of pekin hens for him and is very much looking forward to his arrival.

Back
Top Bottom