Pekin drake walking issue with bad water eyes

KenConklin

Hatching
Jan 6, 2022
I have received two Pekin ducks, the Drake has a hard time walking and has water eyes:
History
I excepted these two as rescues sight unseen with the description of a lame leg. When I picked up the ducks, the drake was white with water eyes and small amount of dirt on its side from it whipping its eyes. I built a large coup with 50% water pond with fresh ground water flow pond (50 gal hr) and sand dirt ground the other half. I have now added blocks to help reduce the dirt on the Drake he is black from the dirt. all he does is sit in poop on his self. will move to get food and then back to sitting. I have tied deep water tub, but the drake bobs and tends to lean forward. He will eventually splash around and start cleaning a little, but i have to force him in the water.
Food: I have tried a mix of chicken food with wild bird seed that i feed my other chickens and Henie drakes. I also switched to duck feed with wild bird seed mix. The pond has water hyssop and fish in it that I restock.

The previous owner took the Drake to the vet and gave it antibiotics. but nothing seams to help. The female grooms the drake a little and will hang around it. now that it has been over 8 month, I allow the ducks to walk the back yard and let them stay out all night until recently a coon has appeared, so all go in to the coup at night. i have a large 3000 gal shallow pond and creek system for the ducks to use. The female goes in the water to play and clean, the drake just lays in the middle of the yard and wounders to the food bowl here and there. then i walk the in to the coup at night.

I have also tried Potassium Protanginate soaks every 7 - 10 days for a month, it seamed to help a little but nothing lasts. but I know PP is toxic over time or in large quantities.

We throw out all our veggies to the ducks, chickens, and tortoises almost daily.

I am not a duck owner, but there are many duck people here on this forum, and you may want to post on the duck forum under the Forums heading above.

@Miss Lydia and @Isaac 0 are much more knowledgeable. Ducks can suffer from a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) and they also can have mycoplasma synovitis (MS) that affects joints. Tylan or Tylosin can help with MG symptoms, but MS is hard to treat. Ducks also can suffer from leg and foot issues from a niacin deficiency. B complex daily in the diet may help with that. Since rescues can have unknown problems, you may want to try different remedies.

Poor duck, sounds like his leg issue may have started when he was young and maybe he wasn't treated for it? Niacin deficiency will make them lame if not treated as soon as the problems start. Does he have trouble getting into the pool? maybe the reason he isn't bathing? which is probably why his eyes are watering. Do they have a deep bowl or bucket close to feed to wash their eyes and nares out in? You can try some ACV in the water and see if that helps with the eye problem. 1tablespoon to 1 gal of water. I'd at least try some liquid B complex for the leg issues. Many of us have used it with great success. And Pekins really need to be on it all the time since they are heavy, To begin with 1ml over a tasty treat daily. TSC carries one and it will say injectable but we use it orally. Are his legs straight or bowed?
Any swelling?
How is his appetite? Also if there is goo in his eyes you can use Terramycin eye ointment to help clear up any irritation that might be going on.
Best thing for him now would be rest which sounds like he is doing, with water therapy daily liquid B vitamins and a lot of TLC If you could get a video of him walking or trying to? you'll have to load it on Vimeo or youtube then copy and paste it here.
:welcome

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom