PEKIN DUCK CAN'T STAND

Duckstruck

Songster
5 Years
Mar 12, 2016
East Tennessee

Yesterday, I went to the barn to check on everyone, and one of my female ducks just sat on the ground. I went over and tried to lift her off the ground and on her feet, and she could stand for a second, then sit briefly. I tried again multiple times and sometimes she would take a half-step, then sit again. I checked the pads of her feet, and they were clear of abrasions. She eats, drinks, and quacks fine. Here's some information on her...

SPECIES: Pekin
EATS: Chicken scratch, daily treats (tomatoes, bread, live minnows, grapes, exc.), and oyster shells
EXTRA: Was limping a little but still got around fine, flock laying more eggs than usual

I have put her in a dog kennel where she'll have easy access to food and water. I am very concerned about her issue, since the last duck I had who couldn't walk was crippled beyond what vets could do due to a mean drake (who is gone now) and was sadly euthanized. Sometimes the ducks act sick one day (example: narrowed eyes, droopy wings, sluggish), then are fine the next. She laid an egg today, so she is not egg bound. We have a coop and run, so they aren't exposed to much of nature except when I let them out while I'm there.

PLEASE RESPOND ASAP.

Derp, just saw what she was eating. Scrach definitely isn't balance enough diet wise. It's fine for a treat but isn't nutritionally complete. I'd put my money on it being caused by a deficiency unfortunately.

I wouldn't be mixing the oyster shell into their food. I'm not sure if there are consequences from ingesting too much of a calcium source, but that would be my concern. They're not going to be able to tell the difference between that and their food and I imagine they'll inadvertently be eating more of it than they otherwise would. A free choice dish on the side is plenty. I'm glad to read you've got feed now and the niacin supplement going on :)

Chicken feed is fine as long as it's not medicated and as she is laying, isn't chick starter or grower. It's what most people feed their flock because labeled duck feed isn't readily available most places.

A vitamin deficiency can take some time to bounce back from (weeks to months).

Pulling the scratch (which isn't helping her and is instead keeping her from consuming enough of what she actually needs) and giving her straight feed will help her rebound faster.

An egg a day for many breeds is normal. I'm not sure I'd let her keep the eggs though. If she's broody it'll encourage her to just sit instead of walking around to build her strength back. Atrophied muscle on top of deficiency could put her into a further downward spiral.

I just have to add a little story to this thread...even though (Thank Goodness!!!) your duck seems to be on the mend and getting better everyday!!
I had one day when my ducklings were about maybe three weeks old? This is the time they were REALLY outgrowing their brooder. I took them out to swim on a sunny day. When I took them out to preen in the grass, a few of them fell over on their backs, like turtles!!! Little webbed feet waving frantically in the air!!
This is when I moved them to the bathtub until we built the outdoor coop. For two straight days, the ducks seemed drunk. They could barely walk, they were falling over, etc. Once they'd been in the bathtub with more room and more feed and treats (mealworms with celery and strawberry chunks...leftovers from a hedgehog we once had) ....then they all got better and it never happened again!!

What I "think" happened, was that they couldn't get to the food, couldn't get enough food, or maybe even water...and they had gotten weak. Any longer and they may have gotten very very sick, or WORSE!!!

All I know is I sure was happy when they all started looking healthy and happy again. Boy, I got attached to these little fuzzies immediately. I worry about them like I do my kids!!

(I have three older girls who are moving out one right after the other, one graduated last year, got married, and moved to AZ, one graduates this year and is moving one town over, and one graduates the year after, then a step-daughter will graduate the year after that....I think I'm preparing for "empty nest" by filling nests all over the property!!! hahahahahah)

xoxoxoxoxo

Back
Top Bottom