Pekin Duck Can't Walk. Help?

louisandclark15

Hatching
Jan 13, 2016
I have a Pekin Drake that was walking fine one day and then the next he wouldn't walk on one of his legs at all, and now he can't walk on either even though he never moved from where I put him after he stopped using one of his legs. I have had him sitting on straw and he's been eating and drinking water when I put it in front of him. I've been changing the straw under him every day so he doesn't get sick from sitting on his own poop. Is there anything that I can do to hopefully get him walking again? Or are his legs possibly permanently damaged? :(

I'm no expert but some more information will help others give you advise.

How old is he?
If he is young, have you been giving him enough niacin?
Do you see anything physically abnormal about the legs?
Can he stand at all?
Is there anything you think might have happened to cause an injury?

For now I would try putting him in a bath with warm water. If this was an injury it could help him. If he can't swim either it could be more serious and I would consider taking him to a vet.

I believe he's over two years old.
There's nothing noticeably abnormal looking about his legs.
He can stand on one of his legs if he flaps his wings.
The only thing that I think could have happened is that he got in a fight with my other drake or he may have got his leg tangled in the rose bushes my mom has. I have a hen that is going on two years old that messed up her legs over winter last year from standing in cold water and damaged the nerve endings in her feet and partially up her legs. I'm quite positive this isn't the case with him.
I'll see if he can swim today. I want to avoid the vet at all costs. I'm only 16 and really can't afford to take him to the vet... And I know my parents wouldn't help because of my animals being "my business" and I have to pay for anything to do with them.

I would get him into a tub of lukewarm water and watch how he moves.

He could have a spinal injury, an infection, or possibly metal toxicity. Or he could have a very bad sprain in both legs. That can happen. For sprains, Epsom salt compresses (don't put it in water he can drink, it is a laxative) often helps, but it can take days.

The fact he's eating and drinking is really good.

Last edited:
In the past few days he has become restless and decided moving with his wings is a brilliant idea. -_-
I haven't had the chance to get him into a tub but I probably can tonight. I've been busy with exams and things like that the last week or so. If he moves well in water should I still consider kind of soaking his legs in a Epsom salt/water solution? Or is that an absolute must. If he had a spinal injury wouldn't he not be able to move his tail? Or, go to the bathroom at will? I know that was the case with some of my rabbits. I'm not sure how he would of gotten metal toxicity.

Ducks noodle around in the soil - where people drop nails, spill battery acid (lead), years ago someone hunting could have used leaded shot. It is not uncommon for ducks to have metal toxicity.

Back
Top Bottom