Pekin Duck Club!

So do Pekins lay well? I am so disappointed that I'm like 90% sure one of my pullets is actually a roo...having at least one of the ducks being a good layer would help make up for it...

Ok thanks. That was what I thought but wasn't sure. They seem to be moving well. I was able to find duck starter so was lucky. I will also give them duck grower as the people we buy it from carry that too. I feed my chicks chicken crumble. Just wasn't sure whether I should give them extra niacin.
They are just starting to get feathers in, wings and tail. When should I switch them off the duckling starter? They are 4.5 weeks old. I have about 2 weeks of food left and was going to switch but wasn't sure if I should get another bag of "baby food"
Thanks for the help

We don't have a place that sells duck feed only Turkey/Game feed and Chick feed. But buy that feed you are suppose to switch from a Start to the Grower at 10 weeks and Grower to Layer/Regular Adult at 22 weeks of age.

Though I did have a 2 week old Pekin that was on the Grower by week 2 and has done just fine, for a couple weeks I did try to add some extra protein treats for him.

I have 3 pekin ducks and I show them in fair. They're very sweet.

Quote:
Yes, I know that. I have 4 chickens as well. They were supposed to be hatchery-sexed pullets that we had bought with the idea of raising fresh eggs for the family. The ducks were an impulse buy we picked up when we went to pick them up. Turns out one of my pullets is actually a cockerel. The ducks were straight run, though I suspect the Pekin is a girl and the Swedish is a boy. So I'm really hoping that Pekins are good layers, because it will make up for some of the "loss" of a pullet...

Back
Top Bottom