Pekin Duck Club!

My Pekin developed symptoms similar to yours when she decided to go broody and would not eat. It took me weeks to get her back to a healthy condition. My book goes back and forth about hen layer feeds, which I feed in addition to my homemade feed during laying season. The symptoms here are indicative of a B vitamins deficiency. I give the laying girls brewer's yeast, maybe a 1/4 tsp each, for their B vitamins. Ducks also require salt. A few grains each :)... If you can, feed this girl separately some supplemental food with brewer's yeast and a few grains of salt. I use soymeal I toast myself for protein. I don't know if you have to toast it. I just started doing that for my broodmares. Are you feeding hen or duck layer? Duck layer should be sufficient. Is this duck old? If you are feeding duck layer and the duck is not old then a visit to the vet might be in order. There is also something called Nutridrench which people here have recommended highly but I have not used it, yet. That might be a thing to try before you go to the trouble of a vet visit.

Here is my coop. Real basic and simple.
10x10 foot studded walls with wilmenize wood (sp?), hardwire cloth the way around and underneath on the base. Tin roof and a screen door. View attachment 1347458 View attachment 1347459 View attachment 1347460 I use paver leveling sand for the floor, it’s like a big kitty litter...just scoop it up and toss in bucket. I hope this helps with some ideas.
This looks fantastic. Yes, very inspiring. I need to set up a new coop. This would solve a lot of problems.

My handsome Quakers
KIMG1210.JPG

And the new babies pip squeak and peep

Attachments

• 20180411_161728.jpg
    20180411_161728.jpg
    1,018.1 KB · Views: 3
My Pekin developed symptoms similar to yours when she decided to go broody and would not eat. It took me weeks to get her back to a healthy condition. My book goes back and forth about hen layer feeds, which I feed in addition to my homemade feed during laying season. The symptoms here are indicative of a B vitamins deficiency. I give the laying girls brewer's yeast, maybe a 1/4 tsp each, for their B vitamins. Ducks also require salt. A few grains each :)... If you can, feed this girl separately some supplemental food with brewer's yeast and a few grains of salt. I use soymeal I toast myself for protein. I don't know if you have to toast it. I just started doing that for my broodmares. Are you feeding hen or duck layer? Duck layer should be sufficient. Is this duck old? If you are feeding duck layer and the duck is not old then a visit to the vet might be in order. There is also something called Nutridrench which people here have recommended highly but I have not used it, yet. That might be a thing to try before you go to the trouble of a vet visit.

Thanks for taking the time to write to me. Really appreciate it! I read
about Nutridrench and people have good things to say about it. I think I will go to feed store and try it. Will her beak actually clear up? That would be wonderful. She is such a sweet girl. Your information has been so helpful...

Thanks for taking the time to write to me. Really appreciate it! I read
about Nutridrench and people have good things to say about it. I think I will go to feed store and try it. Will her beak actually clear up? That would be wonderful. She is such a sweet girl. Your information has been so helpful...
I got nutradrench and put it in her food peas and lettuce. I was told that's her favorite thing. She wouldn't touch it she doesn't even like worms and the other ducks go nuts over worms. Should I just put it down her throat?

Back
Top Bottom