Pekin Duck Club!

Thanks for the video.can you tell me if callducks is bigger than quaker ducks or drakes

Call ducks are relatively small. You might want to look them up and read about them because I don't know much about them. You had said that your ducks weren't getting very big and weren't making the sounds they should be making to be Pekins, so that's why I suggested they could be Calls. When I googled "Quaker" ducks, Calls popped up. I don't know what "Quaker" or "Quacker" ducks means.

Call ducks are relatively small. You might want to look them up and read about them because I don't know much about them. You had said that your ducks weren't getting very big and weren't making the sounds they should be making to be Pekins, so that's why I suggested they could be Calls. When I googled "Quaker" ducks, Calls popped up. I don't know what "Quaker" or "Quacker" ducks means.
I have recently heard of Quaker ducks, and they look like calls to me. But they were in South Africa. Maybe that's the name for Calls in SA.

Last edited:

Introducing: George & Martha [Washington]. But good luck figuring out who's who!! They are Ideal Poultry Pekins. Today marks their 1 week birthday. They are still currently brooding with the chicken chicks. Boy George and Martha are growing FAST! It already seems just after 5 days and they've already doubled! Or so it would appear. They are the first ducks we've ever had, we are anxious and optimistic at the same time. Ultimately they will brood individuality and then when they are much older we will coop them with their chicken siblings. They are named George and Martha, obviously as our great nation's first President and his First Lady, and it only seemed natural to name this first great pair after The Washingtons. Hopefully, we'll get more some day! Cheers until next time!

Last edited:
I gotta say I am a little concerned at the level of aggression found in my drake while he is mounting the girls. One female has the feathers ripped off one side of her face. Should I seperate them? Also..... is it o.k to just continue feed them flock raiser....even tho the girls are due to start laying soon?

I gotta say I am a little concerned at the level of aggression found in my drake while he is mounting the girls. One female has the feathers ripped off one side of her face. Should I seperate them? Also..... is it o.k to just continue feed them flock raiser....even tho the girls are due to start laying soon?
Separate them, yes. The girls' health and safety, their lives - depend on you. Some drakes are too aggressive.

Flock raiser with oyster shell on the side is how many people go. And Storey's Guide recommends starting the oyster shell a month before they lay, so go ahead with the oyster shell.

I hate to sound like a big duffus !! How the heck do u neuter a duck anyway ? Can somebody explain ? I have never ever heard of it and I have lived the farm life all my life.

you can watch a YouTube episode on Caponizing young roosters and I imagine the process would be similar. Caponozing, as you probably know, is the process for neutering. You would have to neuter at a very young age, as soon as you are aware it is a male, I would think, as this is true for horses. If a male foal/colt horse goes too long without being castrated, it will develop into a stallion, and stallions are more aggressive than geldings (neutered male horse). If a male horse is castrated after it is full grown, it does not become less aggressive, it's stallion behavior remains...I know this is true for a few horses I rode. .. The longer you wait, the more it becomes "male", and the behavior doesn't revert to a less aggressive status.
Caponizing chickens is a surgical process, and requires skill. In learning the process, you can count on killing a few, I would think, by bleeding to death.
Not sure if this works, but Salt Peter was in the diets of inmates and other institutionalized men, to keep the hormones quiet.

When u say salt peter are u talking about the stuff that is used to make gun powder. The inmates eating gun powder would eventually make them go psycho anyway. They was proubley making a bad situation worse. Wouldn't u think?

Back
Top Bottom