Pekin Duck Club!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DenverDucky, Feb 6, 2013.

1. 3acres

3acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2013
    Missouri
    Thank you! I love sitting by the pond and watching my ducks! They are so funny! I've had a had time explaining what ice is and why the pond is iced over these days...lol.

I believe I seen some photos of yours in the turkey section. Very nice Bourbon Reds! BR's are my favorite!

2. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Thanks! I love my turkeys. The Toms are so handsome struttin around the yard. Some day I would like to get a nice camera for quality pics, right now I just use my phone.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

Beautiful pictures..

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think it is well time to get her on oral antibiotics. Use saline and-or Vetericyn to rinse her head thoroughly four times a day, and follow that with topical antibiotics on the eyelids and that side of her head. Get her on some probiotics so it will protect her digestive tract. That is what I would do, and I would do it now.

5. maddylosier

maddylosier Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2013
    Indiana
    I have been giving her the 1/4 teaspoon of dura-10. And I've been rinsing her head with saline. And starting tonight I'm using antibiotic eye drops we got when I cut my eye once. My dad is a pharmasist (don't live with him though) but he said it wouldn't hurt her. I'll get her on some probiotics as well. Is there anyway anyone knows of that I can give her the dura-10 in a syringe and put it down her beak. ?

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

I'm always worried about syringing since it can get into their lungs. [aspirating] if she is calm you might try dribbling a small amount just inside of her bill to see how well she takes it, if she is drinking good other wise just putting it into her water may be good enough.

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I am trying to find out if there are some helpful details about syringe feeding from the Lethargic Duck Thread. That was a long thread, but it was chock full of technical information, and PetDuck did end up syringe feeding Quackers till she regained her appetite.

8. maddylosier

Apr 13, 2013
    Indiana
    Okay thanks guys! She is doing really good tonight. She played a lot in her bath and rinsed her head a lot. She's eating on her own now. (Found out she lovessss grapes and is even trying to eat her dry food). I out some probiotics in her water. I might just alternate from dura to probiotics every day.

9. maddylosier

Apr 13, 2013
    Indiana
    I also gave her some eye drops and hopefully that helps a lot. In her bath she takes her foot and scratches her neck and sores so I always load those up with antibiotic ointment.

10. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I can see why you might think of alternating the duramycin and probiotic, I would think that rather than on a daily alternate, that the duramycin might be given at night, and the probiotic twelve hours later . . . I am not an expert, just trying to think it through.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by