Pekin Duck Club!

I have a quick question. I own 2 Perkin ducks, a male and female. Female is laying but the eggs are not fertile, they have been mating every time they're on the pond, but the eggs are still not fertile, any ideas.

@farmerdylan
How old is your drake? That's odd.

@Strawberryswyrl
Seems to me like your duck doesn't like your drake in that way just yet. And if she views you as the Alpha, or flock leader, that could be why.

Sorry to hear about the drake. I hope he gets better.

Well, I have been having the strangest experience with my female Jumbo Pekin, Abbey-Beak. Strange, awkward, and funny. For the past week, when I go out in the morning to spend time with her and her "mate", Bo Khan, as soon as I approach her, Abbey-Beak gets down into the mating position as she looks up at me and squeaks in her little duck sounds. Lol!!! She has been rejecting the male's advances toward her constantly since he began making attempts at her weeks ago, as he has not successfully mounted her one single time that I have witnessed, and she seems to prefer a female human! Hahahahaha! So I just go over to her and laugh as I pet her while she lays there with her back flattened and body elongated. She jumps up within a second or two. Strange! Anybody ever heard of such behavior from a duck? Ever experienced it? I sure would like to hear!
She really likes you. Happens here, too with a few of my ducks from time to time.

@farmerdylan
How old is your drake? That's odd.

@Strawberryswyrl
Seems to me like your duck doesn't like your drake in that way just yet. And if she views you as the Alpha, or flock leader, that could be why.

She really likes you. Happens here, too with a few of my ducks from time to time.
Hahaha well I guess I'm the Alpha bird and she really likes me!
tongue.png

Sorry to hear about the drake. I hope he gets better.

Well, I have been having the strangest experience with my female Jumbo Pekin, Abbey-Beak. Strange, awkward, and funny. For the past week, when I go out in the morning to spend time with her and her "mate", Bo Khan, as soon as I approach her, Abbey-Beak gets down into the mating position as she looks up at me and squeaks in her little duck sounds. Lol!!! She has been rejecting the male's advances toward her constantly since he began making attempts at her weeks ago, as he has not successfully mounted her one single time that I have witnessed, and she seems to prefer a female human! Hahahahaha! So I just go over to her and laugh as I pet her while she lays there with her back flattened and body elongated. She jumps up within a second or two. Strange! Anybody ever heard of such behavior from a duck? Ever experienced it? I sure would like to hear!
Hi, my little Gabby Duck does the same. It seems she wants lots of petting when she does this. She doesn't get up so quickly-- as a matter of fact, I'm usually ready to stop petting before she decides she has had enough. I know you hand raised your ducks, and I have had Gabby since she was about 8 weeks, so maybe the incidental/accidental/kind of on purpose imprinting has done this. I don't have a male duck, and Gabby has been laying an egg a day since August, so her hormones must be in good working order--she would probably like someone other than Francis, the goose! ...

Had to share this with you guys since most of you Have watch my girls grow up!
Lady or Lucy not sure which - laid the first Goose egg today in like the coldest weather everrrrr here in ohio hahaha Mama is super excited !! My pekins are still Layin every day but one egg froze today
1f623.png
!!! Yikes!

Back
Top Bottom