Pekin Duck Club!

Give him plenty of time floating in water - deep enough for floating but not drowning if he gets tired, you may need to watch. And you may want to limit his food intake - more vegetables in his diet to keep him full. This is a tough one. But I wonder if you can help him lose a little weight.

Also, you may want to make him a sling on a frame with wheels - a scooter of some sort.

The Pekings are here!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
Some one gave me 3 week old Peking ducks.

We have chickens and I really wanted some geese and ducks. I have no idea what gender theyare as the people hatched them from eggs. Can anyone help me. what do I do from now during the brooder time? Any good link on how to care for Pekings? They are so cute!
Congrats they are adorable.. AND here is a link on caring for ducklings since htye are already 3 weeks old be sure not to over heat them with heat lamp, temps should be between 78-80 at their age.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited:
Give him plenty of time floating in water - deep enough for floating but not drowning if he gets tired, you may need to watch. And you may want to limit his food intake - more vegetables in his diet to keep him full. This is a tough one. But I wonder if you can help him lose a little weight.

Also, you may want to make him a sling on a frame with wheels - a scooter of some sort.
X2

Last edited:
Anna6, welcome to the wonderful world of ducklings!

The link Miss Lydia gave is superb. I found - someone pointed out to me - after a while that there is something I did differently than recommended, as far as how old ducklings can be before you restrict their food and water at all. The thread says, I think 2 weeks, but I would make it at least 8 weeks. I don't know if that's a typo in the original post.

Vent sexing is soooo easy search youtube and you will see. As for their care... do not let them outdoor in a run untill fully feathered. At that age you can let them swim in like ur tub with luke warm water and the room should be draft free and very warm dont let them swim long and let them have something to climb up on to rest. They get tired fast.

They need a heat lamp but only on ONE SIDE of your brooder set up. They need to move away from heat if too warm. Fresh clean water at all times. (They are messy!) Clean their bedding as needed and ready access to food ay all times. Don't put food right next to water. Crumble starter for water fowl is fine for them to eat.
Oh no hubby put them in the yard! I was questioning him about it. He never listens to my input. DS and I put them inside again. They are in a very large rectangular bin but the lamp was starting to burn through the plastic( at previous owners) We plan to build a wooden suspender for the lamp. They need to be fully feathered to swim right? they have been sitting in their watering dish and their whole bottom, underside, is wet. I wonder if they need a different water dispenser instead of just a rectangle plastic dish. Can they have grass or lettuce yet? As you can see we were serving it to them and they like it. Also I assume they are regular Peking but these ducks are humongous. How would I know if they are regular Peking or Jumbo Peking. I hope they are the normal ones because the people who gave them to us would not want us to eat them plus I read the Jumbo can't walk after it matures.

I have jumbo mine walk just fine just dont over feed. Get a water bottle for ducks and chickens. Ur gonna have a watery mess with ducks no matter what you do. They can swim just monitor them and no free access to swim until fully feathered. If its 90 degrees out and and sunny you can put them out in a small little run with a wire top to protect them and give them a little tub to get in and out of. Thing is not breezy where they get chilled. Otherwise inside in a very warm room.

At this tender age, they need to be in, and relatively warm. If they are three weeks old, then 75 to 80 degrees F is good, as Miss Lydia said, and some folks firmly attach a lamp to a chair or table, I used half inch metal hardware cloth, folded at a 90 degree angle along the long edge and zip-tied to opposite sides of the brooder to hold the heat lamps.

They need to be able to bathe with supervision at least every couple or three days, but until they are feathered, no unsupervised swim time. I used chick waterers for mine till they were a couple of months old. Maybe even three months old.

Keep reading the Raising Ducks thread especially that first post, it is a good summary.

If you are giving them chick starter, they likely will need some niacin supplementation. 100 mg per gallon of water is a good place to start, if they have no symptoms of deficiency.

Does anyone know if it it hard to integrate a new duck to a pair. The pair I have currently have been raised together since they were a day old. I would like to get another female Pekin but am nervous to add after reading about chickens and the difficulties integrating them. The ones I have are almost 10 months old. Thought I would try to get one around the same age or should I get a chick again?

Does anyone know if it it hard to integrate a new duck to a pair.  The pair I have currently have been raised together since they were a day old.  I would like to get another female Pekin but am nervous to add after reading about chickens and the difficulties integrating them. The ones I have are almost 10 months old.  Thought I would try to get one around the same age or should I get a chick again?

We have integrated two then three ducks into our flock. All are about the same age. It takes patience but it has worked for us.

If the two you have are females another female or a male will be fine. If you have a male and female then only another female will be acceptable without issue.

Back
Top Bottom