Pekin Duck Club!

Good Morning! I just found this thread. I currently have a few ducks. A couple of Saxony's, a couple of Magpies, and a couple mixes. I'm looking to get some Pekings to add to the flock. I'm wondering if anyone here is in the CNY area that I could get some hatching eggs from? Thank you so much in advance!
smile.png

I was thinking about buying some call ducks a little later, after I get my Pekins. Should I have a separate pen for the CD, or do you think it would be okay to integrate them with the Pekins? I read that Call Ducks are small compared to the Pekins, so I am a little worried about adding them later... I'm undecided on whether or not I will breed them, so I don't know if I'll get a drake CD.. I will have one Pekin Drake to about three or four Hens.

Call ducks are very small compared to pekins and especially if they are jumbo pekins. I wouldnt put them together myself but if it is free range then it shouldnt be a problem.

Okay. They won't be free ranging so I'll have to get my husband to set up a second pen.

I know these are not Pekins, but maybe some one can help...

After I posted my question, a friend sent me a text to let me know Tractor Supply has their chicks in. I went to check out their ducklings, and they are being sold as Assorted Straight Run Only. I wasn't going to bother with buying assorted, but then I noticed this poor little duckling with a limp. I don't know what's wrong, which is why I'm posting. Maybe some one has an idea of what to do. I struck a deal with the TS manager and bought two more ducklings and got Gimpy for free to try and save her from a worse fate. (I tried sexing, and I didn't want to hurt her leg so I didn't try too hard looking...)

Does any one have any suggestions to help it grow normally without any gimp to her step?
0.jpg

Niacin capsules dissolved in drinking water, 100 to 150 mg niacin per gallon for eight weeks.

Closely supervised swim time in water just deep enough to float in, for a few minutes at a time - not to wear her out, but to work the legs and get weight off of them.

Good food, proper temperatures, fresh water, TLC.

hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom