Pekin Duck Club!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DenverDucky, Feb 6, 2013.

1. angeliduck

angeliduck Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2014
    Sydney, Australia.
    do you think you could have a llook at my thread with any advice on how to deal with my drake pekin im scared they dont like our family because we found them abandoned and haven't been around them from hatchlings..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/861939/how-to-show-im-not-a-threat#post_13008153

2. The Howards

The Howards Chillin' With My Peeps

I know exactly what you mean. [​IMG] I always likened it to a hot water bottle.Seems like if you hold them in the palm of your hand and tilt them back and forth they flow like water in a bottle.

3. forgetful

forgetful Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2013
    That's exactly what it feels like! I suppose I'm just used to chickens. :) Thanks guys for easing my concerns.

4. The Howards

The Howards Chillin' With My Peeps

We just got another one. This time a jumbo pekin, calling her Cream Puff. She arrived yesterday from Meyer along with a cayuga and blue indian runner.
    She was the biggest one in the box, everyone else huddled underneath her.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Can't wait to see how her size compares to Butterscotch.

5. creaturelife

creaturelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    every one i m going to be a pekin owner this year bu first i must find pekin duckling or eggs but i only but local and that is a good thing cause my neighbor owns pekin and i m going to let one of my ducks hatch out some eggs or just buy some duckling from her she was talking about selling them on fb for $3 a peace this sounds like a great deal cause i sell my duckling for $5 so can any one tell me how long it takes them to hatch

6. Jnkbtd08

Jnkbtd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2014
    Lancaster
    28 days for pekin. I have two drakes and two female. and I have 4 eggs in the incubator. Im on day #4. Cant wait!!!!

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Mountains of Western N.C.
    Your ducklings look perfect weight, and looks like they have plenty of room for exercise too. they are adorable, but please give them a pot or small bucket so they can dunk their heads, it's very important that ducks be able to wash their faces at all times to keep nares and eyes clean. Chick waterers don't work with ducks.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Mountains of Western N.C.
    angeliduck take a look at this thread, it's on training geese but applies to ornery waterfowl in general https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/561849/geese-training

9. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    So i have joined this Pekin side myself.. anything stand out different about them that i should know? I know they can be loud(yep, have buffs and calls lol) and grow fast(yeah, that's okay.. i have scovies mainly)

No pics yet, been run off my feet this past week...

10. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Nope those look like perfectly healthy 3wk olds to me. I would also suggest like ML said to get a deeper waterer system in place.. since it's outside, try a rubber livestock bowl like this..

Ignore duck in it lol

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by