Pekin Duck Club!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DenverDucky, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Neighbors may love some fresh eggs and put up with a bit of quacking to get some. [​IMG]
  2. Fernie

Fernie Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

3. StacyAK

StacyAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2013
    Eagle River, Alaska

Checked her leg and foot and didn't see any visible wounds, see any swelling or feel any heat. Felt from her hip down to her toes and she didn't seem in pain anywhere I poked or prodded. I'm at a loss, maybe she just got a slight sprain? I'll give her a day or two inside to rest her leg and see if that helps :-/

At least she seems in good spirits :)
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Try an Epsom salt compress. Dissolve a couple of tablespoons of Epsom salt in a cup of water, soak a clean rag or paper towels, and wrap the leg, holding the duck. E.s. is a laxative, don't let her drink any solution.
  5. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope

Jan 27, 2014
    Thank you. Red Rock, E of Austin.

What a great recovery. So sorry to hear about the dog. That's just heartbreaking.
    Hello and welcome! I think I would call that TS and ask for the manager. Those employees need to be educated.

Glad to hear you didn't find anything serious. It very well could be a sprain. I hope she feels better real soon. Keep us posted.
  6. Miss Lydia

What a precious pic, and could very well be a sprain, how does she get in and out of the pool? I had one hurt his leg from jumping down off the side instead of using the ramp, he limped around for about a week before it got better.
    1 person likes this.
  7. wildsam

wildsam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2012
    Radisson, NW Wisconsin

I would also add some no-flush, no slow acting niacin to their water. Maybe give them some chick electrolytes for about 2-3 weeks and see if the leg problem doesn't improve with that.
    It could be as simple as a supplement deficiency and it won't do any harm to them if you do add it to their water to see if that helps. You should maybe repeat the niacin (I would go with a high dose of 500mg/gal water) once every other month for a few days. Again, it
    Doesn't hurt or harm them but vitamins and supplements like niacin is also usually in their food.
    My one duckling actually was to the point to almost not walking anymore last year. Now he is for and healthy, and a bit spoiled by mama too. Lol
  8. jaimitastic

jaimitastic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2014
    Hello all!

My name is Jaimie and I recently received two Pekin ducks from my DH as a wedding gift! Im from Minnesota.

We got them from tractor supply at 4 days old. They will be two weeks old tomorrow. I'm glad I found this site right away as we were completely misinformed about how to care for them. I'm kind of annoyed that I bought a lot of unneccesary stuff for them.

Anyway, I basically read this whole thread so I feel a lot better about the care of them! I plan on moving them outside late April. Or whenever the snow melts. ;)
  9. Miss Lydia

[​IMG] although I don't have Pekins I love to come here and look at pics, So be sure to post some when you get a chance.
  10. jaimitastic

jaimitastic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2014
    Also, can the niacin capsules be found at Target or CVS?

Here is my most recent picture of the chickies and DD!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by