Pekin Duck Club!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DenverDucky, Feb 6, 2013.

1. hilltoppe

hilltoppe Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2014
    Hey all. Saw this topic about Peking ducks. Thought I would check it out since I just purchased my 4 - 8 days ago. Dont really know how to navigate around this site yet. Since I have a baitshop..I have a ready suppy of minnows for my babies. Lol.. put some in their pan of water yesterday and it was very comical to watch!. One problem I have is these were straight run, and I dont know how to tell boys from girls. Anyone???? I am convinced that I will get more within the next few weeks. Thanks.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Easiest way is that after a few more weeks the girls will start quacking and the boys have a quieter, raspier voice.

3. JFreeman

JFreeman Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you buy low dosage niacin? I had to get the 500 mg capsules and break them apart. It's the only thing available in my local area...

Also, we figured out my Disney Ducks LOVE LOVE LOVELOVELOVE meal worms. They let us pet them, hug them, and didn't mind being next to us while we fed them. YAY! The kids had so much fun feeding them, and even DH got in on it. [​IMG]

How do you guys wait before putting ducklings in their permanent pen? I'm trying to gauge when I should put mine out because they are getting too big to keep inside...

4. StacyAK

StacyAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2013
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Well I decided to move the duckies back out to the coop tonight. Another day or two probably would of been good for Puddles to be inside and off her leg but I was worried about having them away for too long and the rooster attacking them when they came back. She is still limping but not quite as bad. Going to try and hunt down some Niacin and some vitamins since it can't hurt.

She was so pretty and bright white from her baths in the tub. As soon as they were back in the coop, she waddled right into the mud puddle.....

[​IMG]

5. cluckcluck3499

cluckcluck3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2012
    Tennessee
    I'd just like to say how adorable it is when ducklings flap their wings majestically when they're sooooo tiny. :) especially my pekins

6. StacyAK

StacyAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2013
    Eagle River, Alaska

It's the cutest when they yawn :)

7. cluckcluck3499

cluckcluck3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2012
    Tennessee
    Yes that too. Ducklings are just cute in general. :)

8. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Welcome to BYC[​IMG]

9. hilltoppe

hilltoppe Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2014
    I would like to be added to the club

10. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Hello and welcome to BYC[​IMG]
    X2 also, watch for a curled up tail feather around 12 weeks of age. This is called a 'drake' feather and that means boy[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by