Pekin Duck Club!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DenverDucky, Feb 6, 2013.

1. BarredRockGirls

BarredRockGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Ohio

Lol I only take them out on short trips and it's getting harder to catch them up again to go back inside so they may just wait till it's nice/ warmer out next week and they are mostly feathered ( they are almost 4 weeks now. Bellies are feathered ) and I'll set up a outside pen they can stay in for a few hours to socialize w the flock but not be with them . It drives them crazy when the big ducks leave them behind haha. The geese like to stay w them though ;)

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

I've seen alot of duck poop as most on here have so believe me it's not offensive at all, and doesn't look that abnormal, duck poop can be clear to the color of what your seeing to blk depending on what they have been eating, How old are your ducks and what else do they have access to? And if ducklings what temp?

3. jaimitastic

jaimitastic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2014
    They are two weeks old. They only get their starter feed and water with the ocassional treat (usually peas or finely diced apples). But they haven't had either for the past few days.

From what the TSC employee told me, they are 2 weeks today.

I'm honestly not sure of the temp of their brooder. I've been turning their light off during the day for the past two days. I turn it on at night and after they've been playing in water.

4. BattleFires

BattleFires Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2014
    Norvell, MI, USA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Miss Lydia, you were asking for pictures. I finally got the chance to upload them. I believe the Pekins are from the same hatch but since I got them from TSC I can't be sure.

5. Miss Lydia

First you need so kind of thermometer so you can keep track of temps in the brooder a digital one is best, especially if your turning the lamp off during the day they can chill, and they can get over heated too so knowing what your brooder temp is, is important. at 2 weeks they should have between 80-85 . And feeding them anything other than their starter with out grit can be harmful because they have no way of chewing up the peas and apple so they need to have some grit[chick] offered in a separate bowl than feed. I wouldn't be too concerned about the poop unless you notice them not eating and becoming lethargic or you see blood. But do keep in mind that what they eat does show up when they poop, in color and consistency.You haven't see nothing yet. [​IMG] Not to make light of this, of course when we are first time ducks moms everything is worrisome . Be sure to post some pics when you get a chance too. and if anything changes of course post back. also went back and reread your first post, if you haven't already i would suggest you start your ducklings on some Brewers yeast sprinkled on top of their feed daily this is a good source of Niacin which is lacking in the chick feed we have to feed our ducklings but they need it to have healthy legs, 1 Tab to 1 cup of feed till 10 weeks old, or if you can find it, Plain niacin tablets crushed and mixed in to 1 gallon of fresh water then put into what ever waterer you are using. again daily till 10 weeks old.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  6. Miss Lydia

There is a big difference in size for sure, is the other Pekin acting normal, energy. eating good? poop normal? and are you absolutely sure the small one is pekin?

7. BattleFires

Mar 7, 2014
    Norvell, MI, USA
    The other one seems happy as a clam. I haven't noticed any odd poop.
    Obviously the dark one is not a Pekin :) but I was starting to wonder about the smaller 'Pekin'. I've never seen runner ducks in TSC but I suppose someone could have made a mistake.

8. Miss Lydia

Some of the TSC have had Runners this year and looking at your smallest yellow makes me think Runner. Can you give them a call and see if they may have had some when you got your ducklings?

9. BattleFires

Mar 7, 2014
    Norvell, MI, USA
    Definitely can't hurt! It would make me feel better about its health if it was a Runner. Not what I wanted, but I can adapt!

10. Miss Lydia

Aww I'd love to have a Runner. They are so cool looking. and it would be a nice threesome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by