Pekin Duck Club!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DenverDucky, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Hello and welcome to BYC[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Jnkbtd08

Jnkbtd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2014
    Lancaster
    Welcome to the duck club!
    What do you have? we love to see pictures.
    It Don't Exist Unless we See Pictures!
    Are you looking for anything?

3. Jnkbtd08

Jnkbtd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2014
    Lancaster
    Exactly!! Yes Females can be rather noisy. My girls make a lot of noise when they see me, or feeding time. But As soon as I leave the pen, they quiet down.
    My neighbors get a dozen fresh hen eggs every other week or so. They love it and soon will love your noise makers!!
    Goood Luck

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    The thing I most want to discourage is putting ducklings at risk because the brooder is becoming difficult to manage. Predators love duckling. They have all night while you are in to get at that duckling. Each duck has different temperature requirements in my experience. I keep my flock where the least hardy stays healthy. Do you know how cold it gets in your outdoor shelter yet?

5. hilltoppe

hilltoppe Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2014
    Thanks for the info. The curled tail feather I am familiar with since I did duck plucking at my baitshop during duck season. The mallard ducks have 4 of those curled up feathers. I just thought there was a way to tell before buying so as to not get more drakes than hens...thanks again. I love watching the little guys interact.

6. angeliduck

angeliduck Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2014
    Sydney, Australia.
    I cook with our duck eggs because I can't afford an incubator or another duck/hen and take care of ducklings. Originally I thought I had two BOYS could you imagine my surprise when mum found an egg!!
    But from cooking with them generally the larger size (about palm Size) have two yolks so this may be the case with yours also?

7. Fernie

Fernie Chillin' With My Peeps

Not unless you know how to vent sex them. I think the boys are more vocal as ducklings.... This is why I liked my Welsh Harlequins. You could sex them at hatch.....

1 person likes this.
  8. hilltoppe

Mar 25, 2014

9. hilltoppe

Mar 25, 2014
    Thanks..still trying to figure out how to use this site...lol..old school here

10. jaimitastic

jaimitastic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2014
    First, I apologize for posting duck poop. But is this normal? Basically all liquid poop in this color? Both of my ducks are pooping like this. Its not everytime they go.

They eat Dumont chick starter feed, have water 24/7 that's deep enough for head dunking and are on pine shavings. I clean their brooder daily.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by