Pekin Duck Club!

I would like to be added to the club

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif

Exactly!! Yes Females can be rather noisy. My girls make a lot of noise when they see me, or feeding time. But As soon as I leave the pen, they quiet down.
My neighbors get a dozen fresh hen eggs every other week or so. They love it and soon will love your noise makers!!
Goood Luck

Do you buy low dosage niacin? I had to get the 500 mg capsules and break them apart. It's the only thing available in my local area...

Also, we figured out my Disney Ducks LOVE LOVE LOVELOVELOVE meal worms. They let us pet them, hug them, and didn't mind being next to us while we fed them. YAY! The kids had so much fun feeding them, and even DH got in on it.
love.gif

How do you guys wait before putting ducklings in their permanent pen? I'm trying to gauge when I should put mine out because they are getting too big to keep inside...
The thing I most want to discourage is putting ducklings at risk because the brooder is becoming difficult to manage. Predators love duckling. They have all night while you are in to get at that duckling. Each duck has different temperature requirements in my experience. I keep my flock where the least hardy stays healthy. Do you know how cold it gets in your outdoor shelter yet?

Thanks for the info. The curled tail feather I am familiar with since I did duck plucking at my baitshop during duck season. The mallard ducks have 4 of those curled up feathers. I just thought there was a way to tell before buying so as to not get more drakes than hens...thanks again. I love watching the little guys interact.
Hello and welcome to BYC:frow X2 also, watch for a curled up tail feather around 12 weeks of age. This is called a 'drake' feather and that means boy:)
images

Hi, I'm a new member although I've been searching this sight for about a year.
I've had chickens for about 2 years, but no roos, so I only collect the eggs.

5 months ago I got a few ducks. 2 drakes and 1 hen. She recently started laying, I believe the eggs are fertile and I've read that Pekins are not broody. So should I take the eggs out and incubate them? They are turning brown, but they could just be getting dirty.
The first few eggs where about the size of chicken eggs, the last 3 are about twice the size. Is that normal? And could these be fertile too?

Thanks!!
I cook with our duck eggs because I can't afford an incubator or another duck/hen and take care of ducklings. Originally I thought I had two BOYS could you imagine my surprise when mum found an egg!!
But from cooking with them generally the larger size (about palm Size) have two yolks so this may be the case with yours also?

Thanks for the info. The curled tail feather I am familiar with since I did duck plucking at my baitshop during duck season. The mallard ducks have 4 of those curled up feathers. I just thought there was a way to tell before buying so as to not get more drakes than hens...thanks again. I love watching the little guys interact.

Not unless you know how to vent sex them. I think the boys are more vocal as ducklings.... This is why I liked my Welsh Harlequins. You could sex them at hatch.....

First, I apologize for posting duck poop. But is this normal? Basically all liquid poop in this color? Both of my ducks are pooping like this. Its not everytime they go.

They eat Dumont chick starter feed, have water 24/7 that's deep enough for head dunking and are on pine shavings. I clean their brooder daily.

Back
Top Bottom