Pekin Duck Club!

Here are my ducklings @ 3 weeks old! I'm truly amazed at how fast they grow. Yesterday they only had pin feathers (growing adult feathers are called this right?) on their wings and now they have some on their necks/backs. They are quickly outgrowing their brooder so I'm trying to find another place for them until they can go outside.

I'm also having so much trouble finding niacin. I'm just going to make the trek to an organic store tonight (45 mins away) to get Brewers Yeast. None of our grocery chains sell that either.

We still haven't officially named them but my daughter calls them "Purple beak" and "Orange beak" She loves those ducks!

For niacin and/or brewers yeast try eBay or Amazon. I found both really hard to find even in organic or health stores. Brewers yest you might also find at a wine store if your lucky. Found mine there. Maybe try calling the store instead of driving there? Saves you a long and disappointing trip too.

I have a duck husbandry question.

I have a year old female whose legs are swollen were the shank meets the body. She can barely walk and has started using her wings as 'crutches'. She doesn't move much and it obviously in some pain. The joints are very tender and warm. She's been limping a bit for about two months but it's gotten significantly worse in the last two weeks.

I did read that a warm epsom salt bath is good for leg problems but I didn't have a way to get warm water to her for a decent period. I don't have a good set up for bringing her into the house for a bath either.

Anybody have an idea of what this could be? If it was just one leg I would think injury but it's both.

She may well have a serious infection. With great respect, I need to point out that this is something that will not go away on its own and she needs someone to bring her into a warm safe place where she can get time in a lukewarm tub deep enough to float in, a thorough examination, probably at this point oral antibiotics, and a daily care regimen that will help her heal.

A vet would be best, as well as dedication to any treatment she needs.

This is Daisy, my little Pekin :love

Right now she's an only child, but only until I move into a bigger house. I'm renting at the moment but I plan on having lots of ducks in the future! Daisy is only a little over 2 weeks old and growing fast! She has little pin feathers coming in so she's constantly grooming. The little cutie follows me everywhere and she's always sitting on me if I'm holding still. She is a little on the chunky side though, when she takes baths her whole front half is under water!

Any tips on how to get her to hate diapers less? She acts like I'm torturing her when I make her wear one, and I feel so bad for her :(

Hello everyone just wanted to share my three beautiful babies Nina (witch means "Strong" in Native American) Nata (witch means "Speaker" also in Native American) and Chewy (just because he likes to nibble a lot)

Nina back left, Nata back right and Chewy infront.

Hello everyone just wanted to share my three beautiful babies Nina (witch means "Strong" in Native American) Nata (witch means "Speaker" also in Native American) and Chewy (just because he likes to nibble a lot)

Nina back left, Nata back right and Chewy infront.
They are precious.

Thxs I was little when I had mine but we called him Aflac he survived many things animals he lived to a old age and die due to not being as fast as he once was and got cuaght by a predator but he sorta like fostered many groups of ducks

Back
Top Bottom