Pekin Duck Club!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DenverDucky, Feb 6, 2013.

1. pekinsRus

pekinsRus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Sorry this was a reply to questions about spots on girls beaks

2. pekinsRus

May 4, 2011
    [​IMG]
    This is the formerly known as Biggy & Smalls at 4 wks. Old

3. pekinsRus

May 4, 2011
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6263692/width/200/height/400[/IMG
    Gwenivere and Sir Arthur of Duckalot swimming/bathing at 5 weeks old. We changed their names since we now know there sex.

4. A Lee

A Lee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2014
    My two new babies that the feed store said were golden hybrids but clearly are two adorable Pekins. Got a nice run built for them to go outside but they panic when I leave them in it. Guess we will have to work on that slowly :) [​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. jwalker2002

jwalker2002 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2014
    Middleburg, FL
    I just became the owner of 2 Pekin Ducks and just built their enclosure. I am trying to fugure out what is the best thing to use for ground cover in enclosure. It's a fenced in area and I built the gound with about 3" of sand and then covered with a heavy duty weed barrier, but not sure what I should put on top. Was thinking about using an indoor/outdoor carpet... What's your thought?

7. waynec1955

waynec1955 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    Munford, Alabama
    What ever you put in it be prepared to clean it. I keep my runs with sand or dirt with straw or shaving. My duck house is wood floor with straw, they build their nest in it, but rarely stay in it.

8. jwalker2002

jwalker2002 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2014
    Middleburg, FL
    Thanks, I was just worried they might try to eat the material. I planned on making sure there were no loose ends. Maybe I'll put the indoor/outdoor carpet down and then put some straw on to. I want to try to make it as easy to clean as possible!! ;)
    Right now I have them in a Kiddie pool, will I have any problems getting them used to going in to a duck house. I am in the process of building it. My ducks are about 2 weeks old. Is there anything I can do to get them to not be so afraid of me. They stick together like glue.

9. waynec1955

waynec1955 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    Munford, Alabama
    Ducks are very social, they will stay close to each other. They may not use the duck house for a while, but if one is a female she will eventually nest in it. I have five hens, on occasion they will lay on the ground or build a nest outside of their house, but they will return to their nest in house. I keep a kiddie pool for mine to swim in, I have a block in it so they can get out of it, and I dug it into the ground so they can easily get into it. Mine free range about half of the time. They love to eat worms, slugs, and bugs.
    Handle them often, feed them some peas and other treats with your hand. They will get used to you if you handle them a lot. Don't move fast when you go to pick them up. They will follow you around in the yard life a couple of puppies when they get used to you.

10. BaileyPaisley

BaileyPaisley Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2014
    What treats can I give my 1 week old ducklings? Also when can I let them outside to play it's in the 50s were I live.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by