Pekin Duck Club!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DenverDucky, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/242460/the-ultimate-list-of-duck-treats-and-supplements
    always give them grit when feeding anything other than starer crumble. chick grit is best when very young.
    as far as taking them outside I would wait till it's a bit warmer may low 60's and not windy and not letting them get wet. Down just doesn't have the insulation feather on top of it has and they can chill pretty easy.

2. BaileyPaisley

BaileyPaisley Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2014
    Is this normal:/ she is 8 days old and this was taken at her after school swim :/[​IMG]

3. jwalker2002

jwalker2002 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2014
    Middleburg, FL
    Thanks for the infor.mation. Is 2 weeks to young to try to give peas to.? What do you put in their house to make nest out of? Should I leave their food out 24/7, or put out at a certain time?

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If you have been giving tiny bits of chick grit for at least a few days before, you could give a few - I mean just a few - peas to 2 week olds.

My ducklings had old towels for bedding. They ate shavings. [​IMG] As adults, they have had straw and shavings or a combo. Right now it's shavings and they make their own nests, usually in a corner.

I kept food with water available to them for the first 8 weeks. Then I would only remove both at night for less than 8 hours. Now, they have food and water 24/7. That is why I love my watering station.

5. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    CONGRATULATIONS! How old is she? We are eagerly awaiting our first egg[​IMG]

They sure are pretty[​IMG]

PRECIOUS!

6. StacyAK

StacyAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2013
    Eagle River, Alaska
    CONGRATULATIONS!  How old is she?  We are eagerly awaiting our first egg:)

8 1/2 months old

1 person likes this.
  7. nate1the1great1

nate1the1great1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2014
    Colorado
    When i put feed in i put it in and
    Et them eat it then take it out unless they have water with them 24/7

8. jwalker2002

Apr 6, 2014
    Middleburg, FL
    I am currently feeding my ducks DuMOR[​IMG] Chick Starter/Grower.
    What is Chick Grits and where can I but it?

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

Chick grit is ground up rock they use to "chew" their food, you can buy it at TSC or any feed store that sells poultry feed

10. jwalker2002

Apr 6, 2014
    Middleburg, FL
    Do I put the Chick Grit in a bowl like I do their food, or just throw it on the floor? How much do I need to give them daily? They are about 2-3 weeks old. Right now I have them Inside a kiddie Pool.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by