Pekin Duck Club!

today, i found one of my 6 week old Pekins on her back. I picked her up, watched her, she drank and waddled around with the others and seemed fine. 2 hours later, I found her on her back again. This time, when i picked her up, she was a bit wobbly on her feet, but walked away from me. When she attempted to flap her wings, she tipped over, wings spread, and just lay there. I picked her back up and she was just limp, head hanging, no movement other than breathing.

I have separated her with water only. I have no idea what is happening! She was perfectly fine up until today. :(

Anyone else here experience this??
Is it possible she may have eaten something toxic? there are flushes for this I'll get you the link, I have used the activated charcoal as have others. I would place some feed along with fresh water in with her. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

Last edited:
today, i found one of my 6 week old Pekins on her back.  I picked her up, watched her, she drank and waddled around with the others and seemed fine.  2 hours later, I found her on her back again.  This time, when i picked her up, she was a bit wobbly on her feet, but walked away from me.  When she attempted to flap her wings, she tipped over, wings spread, and just lay there.  I picked her back up and she was just limp, head hanging, no movement other than breathing.

I have separated her with water only.  I have no idea what is happening!  She was perfectly fine up until today.  :(  

Anyone else here experience this??
are they getting supplemental niacin?

Is it possible she may have eaten something toxic? there are flushes for this I'll get you the link, I have used the activated charcoal as have others. I would place some feed along with fresh water in with her. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

are they getting supplemental niacin?
Thank you guys. I did not start the niacin until today after I panicked and searched the web. :( Stupid newbie duck mom move.
Unfortunately, around 5pm when my husband got home, he found her laying in the cage, convulsing, with foam coming out of her mouth.

The area that they are in is completely bird friendly. My chickens are my pride and joy and I am super on top of keeping everything safe. The ducks now share the area and they all get along really well. I don't know what happened. She is the only one that has acted this way and I'm crossing my fingers that it began and ended with her.
It's probably unrelated, but she is also the duck that had the outward growing wing feathers as well. All the others have developed normally.

Thank you again for the help and advice.
Sara

Please add me
smile.png
!

Hello and welcome
frow.gif

My new kids... just got them yesterday .... I think they are about a week old and I have allowed them a short swim and we have been working on handling and getting used to me.... they are currently hanging in the guest bedroom with the heat lamps. I have two rubbermaid bins set up one for 10 chicklets and the other for the two ducklings. I know they are teeny babies so I havent been handling a great deal about a half hour a day as I know they need their rest but here are the kids... I sat on the floor and let them walk around a bit and they climbed into my lap... I love their little faces... boy in front, girl in back ... names to be decided

Precious!

Back
Top Bottom