Pekin Duck Club!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DenverDucky, Feb 6, 2013.

1. ashleigh27

ashleigh27 New Egg

Apr 20, 2014
    i hope this reaches you. i have recently bought 4 pekin ducklings and they are doing so great. I went to grab more grass and shavings tonight and saw a small indian runner who seemed very lethargic in a cage for sale with a bunch of other ducklings. I made the manager give me him even though there is a 4 duck minimum he gave him to me for nothing because he knew the duck was sick and i told him i would try my hand at saving him. when i aske if the duck had been eating or drinking he said "honestly, i havent had time to check on them". i was really mad with him and took the poor 2 day old duckling. he is lethargic, lame, wont eat or drink on his own. he wants to sleep. no energy 99.5% of the time to lift head, stand, or walk. he is wobbly. he will drink from the syringe when i force feed but when i try to feed him food from the syringe he shakes his head and does not swallow it. i mushed the food after watering it down. it is non medicated. i am nervous of salmonella or another disease. i got him later in the day today at around 6pm. tomorrow is easter. i didnt realize what i was going to be up against and i feel so awful. i am researching but to no prevail how to help him, where to get amoxycillin, and only found 2 vets far from me who see ducks. they wont see him until monday anyway the latest. its 3:55 in the morning on easter and i have 2 kids who will be waking up bright and early to see what the easter bunny has brought them but i have not been able to sleep because i feel so bad and keep trying to feed him. im going to call it a night and try getting some form of rest even though i wont sleep a stitch im too worried. i want to help this little dude. please, if you or anyone you know of in your circle knows anything that could help let me know. i dont have brewer's yeast on hand but have been trying to syringe feed him sav-a-chick electrolyte. does this sound like salmonella to you? i have written this fast as i am a bit frantic. please forgive me if i have missed anything and feel free to ask any question you may have. if i am ever able to get to the bottom of this i will. i am going to call animal control, the cdc, and even if he doesnt make it i am asking a vet to test his stool for salmonella. whoever he gets his ducklings from has a problem on his hand and he may infect many other ducklings along with all the other lives both human and non that these infected ducklings will touch. i hope no parents bought any of those ducks that were with this one as a pet for easter. quick responses would be so appreciated. i hope this reaches someone. my name is ashleigh btw. I am from massachusetts.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    ashleigh, I hope you have seen the responses on the other thread. Blessings.

3. bird lover 34

bird lover 34 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2013
    Mt Sterling Ohio
    Ashleigh, I have heard some molasses in the the water will make them hungry and they may want to eat. I don't know for sure, I have never tried it, but it wouldn't hurt. Good luck.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  4. bird lover 34

bird lover 34 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2013
    Mt Sterling Ohio
    We had and attack the other night. Not sure what got in, and what could have gotten that many in 1 night. We thought we had the coop secure and let them stay out at night. We had 2 Pekin, 3 Mallards, 6 Rouens and 6 Khaki Cambells. We lost all but 2. We have 1 Pekin drake and a young Khaki. My drake is so depressed. Will he bond with another hen if I can find one? BTW, no more staying out at night. There doggy door is gone.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

Is the young khaki a drake or duck? and yes he will bond to another female but it will take time they grieve and also go through shock, so alot of reassurance is what they need now along with a very secure pen and house. Good to hear they will be locked up at night now, sometimes it takes heart break to learn valuable lesson, Predators will try to find a weak spot and when they do they can kill unmercifully. very sorry for your losses.

6. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    [​IMG] and welcome. It was just meant to be for you to have Pekins[​IMG]

I haven't seen this in any of our Pekins but it is waaaayyy cool! Can't wait to see how it turns out after molting[​IMG]

Never too late to join. Welcome[​IMG]

[​IMG] So sorry for your losses. I can't imagine the pain of seeing the aftermath.
    Could it be an infection/abcess? How is the duckling doing other wise... eating? active? any limping? I would soak it's foot in warm epsom salt. I'm sure you will be hearing from others with way more experience than me. Good luck with the little one.

7. tiedyemommy

tiedyemommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    [​IMG]
    A clearer shot of our Pekin. [​IMG]

- TieDyeMommy

8. Cassie Collins

Cassie Collins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2014
    Texas
    Bird Lover I'm so sorry for u, I cld just cry!! I will be praying for u. There was some1 else that lost their entire flock 2 a predator. It breaks my heart. Some dogs, fox, & weasel types will kill a whole flock :(. Fox will usually take 1 @ a time tho. Does any1 else know what predator cld kill an entire flock? I only have 3 ducks & they r true pets. I wld be devastated if something hurt my little flock!!!

9. wildsam

wildsam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2012
    Radisson, NW Wisconsin
    Raccoons will play to kill with all the birds. Not good and the carnage is bad.

10. nate1the1great1

nate1the1great1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2014
    Colorado
    It died last night but its in duck heaven now :(:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by