Pekin Duck Club!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DenverDucky, Feb 6, 2013.

1. bird lover 34

bird lover 34 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2013
    Mt Sterling Ohio
    Thanks so much. It means a lot to have the support.

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan

Plywood might get nasty over time, plus might not be good for duck feet. I just buried the bottom 18" of the pen, so that provides a bit of a barrier. It has worked well here, but honestly im not sure that i have many digging predators. YMMV. The underside of the duck house,, I stapled hardware cloth onto the underside of the frame. I really don't think I'd do plywood tho for a pen.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I don't recall if I mentioned that I have coated chain link fence underneath the Day Pen, secured at the edges. That won't get icky. Water flows right through it, and larger predators cannot dig through it.

4. csling

csling Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2014
    Mansfield, Pa
    Well the Easter Bunny surprised us with 2 pekin ducks this year. I'm very new to ducklings (raised many chickens though). I was wondering if y'all had any tips or advise to help me a bit. I find asking others who have raised some better advise than just research. meet flower and daisy [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  6. csling

csling Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2014
    Mansfield, Pa
    No I haven't! Thank you!
    I think I'd agree with the water and food! We actually had to add the food to the water the first day because they just were drinking and not eating.... but after the first day they now take a bit of food and turn around for a drink after each bite. Quit cute.

7. Cassie Collins

Cassie Collins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2014
    Texas
    U will need a bigger temporary house very soon. Mine are in a 45 gallon tub from TSC. Do u have a heat lamp? They can't regulate their own temp. I have 3 almost full grown @ 6 wks!! U will love duckies! They are so much fun :)!!

8. Cassie Collins

Apr 12, 2014
    Texas
    S
    So sorry Nate :(.

9. Cassie Collins

Apr 12, 2014
    Texas
    I
    U are very welcome. I decided to nail hardware cloth to the underside of our pen. I feel bad that their foraging will be hindered, but nothing will be able to dig in. I can't imagine what u & the other owner of the other lost flock, must be going through, so I decided safety 1st. I was to worried about not getting home in time to lock mine up & we have a mating pair if fox in the area :(. The 2 tragedies have definitely made me more cautious! I'll continue to keep u in my prayers.

10. ColdWaterFarms

ColdWaterFarms Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2014
    canada
    Dose everone keep theres free range?? Could we do that were out in the bush could we set them up with a little pool and then just bring them in at night?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by