Pekin Duck Club!

So my female pekin ducks fur on the back of her head is so torn up (sometimes it bleeds) and the side of her feathers from the male duck climbing on her to hold on to mate. I try spraying it with peroxide so it stays clean. I know I can separate them but she gets stressed when he's away and I don't want her too because she lays eggs regularly. Do you think I can trim the nails of my male pekin duck?? Any other ideas of what else I can do to help stop it?

So my female pekin ducks fur on the back of her head is so torn up (sometimes it bleeds) and the side of her feathers from the male duck climbing on her to hold on to mate. I try spraying it with peroxide so it stays clean. I know I can separate them but she gets stressed when he's away and I don't want her too because she lays eggs regularly. Do you think I can trim the nails of my male pekin duck?? Any other ideas of what else I can do to help stop it?
More females? Sorry not much help I know, but that is the only long term solution I can think of. I know they make saddles for chickens, maybe see if that will work for your duck.

My crested pekin is starting to bleed on her top knot from our male getting just a little too rowdy ;-). does anyone know if this is going to get better or if I need to find him a new home

How many females and males do you have? If there is only 1 or 2 females for 1 male then you may need more females. 5-7 females up to 7-12 for 1 male is fine. 3 or 4 females might be cutting it close. Does he favor her? If so then there isn't much to do. If it gets too harsh for her you can alway separate the drake or her so there wont be further damage. 1) you can get or make something to cover her back to protect her and her feathers from his feet. 2) last but not least, find him a new home. 3) wait a few more days till he calms?

In addition to what LustyWriter09 listed, one question is "how much do you want the male duck"? If you're not very attached, you could just find him a new home and then replace him with a female. You might even be able to trade, though male ducks seem to be in surpluss most of the time. :) If you really like the duck, then trying one or more of Lusty's suggestions would be the way to go.

My male was getting very rough with my females and hurt one of their eye lids one night when I put them up. Since then I put the male in a separate hut at night as the females could not get away from him locked up together. During the day they can escape his grasp a little easier and at night they are safe because he lives in the hut next door to them. They can touch each other through the wire and are still together but separate. I don't know your situation but if you have them sleeping together you may want to separate them at night to give the girls a break. Also mine lay during the night or early morning hours as I have eggs every morning. So it is less stressful for them to not have him in there with them. Hope this helps. Also, One more note, You should have at least 2 females to 1 male. I think the ratio is even higher than that like 4:1 but I have two girls and we seem to work well with our male.

Back
Top Bottom