Pekin Duck Club!

More females?  Sorry not much help I know, but that is the only long term solution I can think of.  I know they make saddles for chickens, maybe see if that will work for your duck.

I can't get anymore female ducks. But my male is not super rough he just wants to mate and so does she. But they only do it in their kiddie pool, so I've just been letting her swim by her self and it's been raining a lot in florida so i haven't filled the pool up, I hope it wil help. Her wings are bad too. I bought a chicken butterfly cover thing, hoping it will help. They would both get too stressed if I separated them completely. thanks for the ideas though!

I can't get anymore female ducks. But my male is not super rough he just wants to mate and so does she. But they only do it in their kiddie pool, so I've just been letting her swim by her self and it's been raining a lot in florida so i haven't filled the pool up, I hope it wil help. Her wings are bad too. I bought a chicken butterfly cover thing, hoping it will help. They would both get too stressed if I separated them completely. thanks for the ideas though!

I would try blue Kote it's a spray for wounds that said, she'll need a break drakes are overbearing and if another duck is not an option time apart is best, you can pen them side by side to reduce stress.

its a pekin egg. Sebastopols have stopped laying for the season. They are seasonal layers. Congrats! Ive heard that if your ducks lay their first eggs right before winter, they will lay through the winter.

though, this depends on where you live.
Unless it's some hybrid or one of those massive layer ducks no, it won't i have had some come into lay in fall but stopped over winter for a few months just like the rest do. That said Pekin are good layers once they start, i still get 5 for 5 every single day...

You don't have to separate them completely. If you put a wire divider they can see through at night so they are together without actually being in the same open area, they should do fine. I do this when my ducks get injured or when they are broody. They can see the other ducks and often both sides sit next to the wire on each side. The divider can work any time you have them penned up or you can leave one in the pen and the other one out. As long as they can see each other. My Pekins last year would just have a fit if they could not see each other. As soon as they knew where the others were, they were fine.

We
A heat lamp? for what? the only Pekin who would need a lamp would be unfeathered young. Even then would depend on your temps...

We do have heat lamps in their houses as we live in northern WI and last winter was just brutal, even on our ducks. If this winter will be the same or worse I'll be glad to have heat lamps again! But in Texas I would not worry about that. It won't get anywhere near 0F or negatives there often as far as I know.

My three new Pekins are getting pale yellow feathers under their tum and up their backsides - is this normal. Very pretty but just wondering if this is normal?

Back
Top Bottom