Pekin Duck Club!

My two Pekins like earthworms, chopped tomatoes, lettuce and grapes! (At least Piotr, my 2 1/2 year old male likes grapes? They both love the lettuce and tomatoes and get this in the morning and at night with their dinner!

Diana Robinson

Hello, I've been keeping chickens for a few years but I'm new to the world of ducks. I hatched 8 Pekins 2 weeks ago (my god they grow fast!!). Once they are old enough to sex I want to keep a small group and sell the excess. I'm having trouble finding info on the best combination to keep though, some places say their pair up and others mention keeping a male with several females. So, given I'm open to keeping between 2 and 5 birds in total what combination would you suggest is optimal? I'm not too concerned about egg production, more flock happiness and possibly hatching a few eggs next season.

Thanks!

Hello, I've been keeping chickens for a few years but I'm new to the world of ducks. I hatched 8 Pekins 2 weeks ago (my god they grow fast!!). Once they are old enough to sex I want to keep a small group and sell the excess. I'm having trouble finding info on the best combination to keep though, some places say their pair up and others mention keeping a male with several females. So, given I'm open to keeping between 2 and 5 birds in total what combination would you suggest is optimal? I'm not too concerned about egg production, more flock happiness and possibly hatching a few eggs next season.

Thanks!

welcome to ducks!

Generally, don't go any less than 2-3 per drake, personally? as an owner of Pekin? at least 5 or more. I have a half dozen one drake, he has 5 girls and chases and annoys the crud out of my two buff oprington ducks... they belong to some Muscovies they were raised with... Pekin drakes are massively needy IMO/IME..

He's a nice boy an all but grrr... lol

Mine and yes they grow super, duper fast!

Thanks!
Looks like your little one already loves ducks! Such an adorable pic on your avatar! I'm sure you will love them too. Very colorful personalities.... have fun, and get ready for some big eggs!

I
What do you cook with your duck eggs? Anything unique? Im running out of ideas and space for these large eggs LOL
i love to bake with mine. I also use them for batter for chicken. I eat them scrambled too. I love them. Funny how some have a stigma about eating them. Just like chicken eggs but bigger.

I have a question I have four pekins three of which were raised together and are all drakes. I found someone selling a female and brought her home for the boys. She has played claim to one of the drakes and chases him all the time. My question is do the females always have a louder quack than the drakes? She has all the signs of being a female except for her voice.

Back
Top Bottom