Pekin Duck Club!

I have a question I have four pekins three of which were raised together and are all drakes. I found someone selling a female and brought her home for the boys. She has played claim to one of the drakes and chases him all the time. My question is do the females always have a louder quack than the drakes? She has all the signs of being a female except for her voice.
You need to be careful with that - drakes will gang up on a female and it could be fatal. Please keep watch not only over her but in case there is a problem for any of the drakes themselves. It doesn't always happen, but some drakes can be brutal, even the ones that seem to start out being very mellow.

Piotr, my 2 1/2 year old male, lives in a good sized custom built duck house. By lives, I mean sleeps. They are out wandering in the garden all day long until about 6 p.m.

Posey, my 7 month old female, climbs the stairs and comes into the garage at night and then heads into her good sized dog crate.

But I've been thinking that it is probably time for Posey to sleep with Piotr in the duck house. I'm sure he will appreciate her company and she will actually have more room than in the dog crate.

I use wood shavings that I purchase for the floor of the duck house, and clean them out every other day or so to keep it fresh and pretty clean. I work the shavings into the soil of the garden and it all stays quite tidy.

San Francisco allows ducks as pets so there is no problem with having them in the city.

Go Giants!!!

I do watch all of them and they are a close knit group. I did have problems with them attaching my hens at one time but I separated them at night and they all do great now. They are free range along with my chickens and the only time they squabble is at feeding time because they are very greedy and try to eat all the food so the chickens can't have none. I have thought about giving a couple of them up but they have become part of the family, so I will wait til spring and see if I can get some more females.

Hi! I, too, love my Pekin's eggs for eating. At first the raw egg whites took some getting used to--their texture is a bit "sticky." The yolks are extremely flavorful though. IMHO, these eggs might be a bit fattier than chicken eggs; at least for me, they are much more filling. I prefer them scrambled better than sunny side up. But best of all, as previously said, they are great for baking! Much richer than chicken eggs. Even for the egg used un pancakes, the final product comes out better.

One thing--the shells are quite thick and strong. And the membrane inside (forgive me, all I can remember from biology class is "amnion, chorion and allantois--and can't say which is which) is SO STRONG, I have to first partially crack the shell on the side of a bowl, say, and then use the point of a sharp knife to pierce to the interior. Only then can I easily take the two halves and crack them open. I have been eating/using the eggs for about a month now, and am so grateful that my quacky is giving me these gifts.

Hi! I, too, love my Pekin's eggs for eating. At first the raw egg whites took some getting used to--their texture is a bit "sticky." The yolks are extremely flavorful though. IMHO, these eggs might be a bit fattier than chicken eggs; at least for me, they are much more filling. I prefer them scrambled better than sunny side up. But best of all, as previously said, they are great for baking! Much richer than chicken eggs. Even for the egg used un pancakes, the final product comes out better.

One thing--the shells are quite thick and strong. And the membrane inside (forgive me, all I can remember from biology class is "amnion, chorion and allantois--and can't say which is which) is SO STRONG, I have to first partially crack the shell on the side of a bowl, say, and then use the point of a sharp knife to pierce to the interior. Only then can I easily take the two halves and crack them open. I have been eating/using the eggs for about a month now, and am so grateful that my quacky is giving me these gifts.
Since you're here, I will comment here! The membranes are very tough and can make peeling boiled duck eggs tricky. I do like them for baking, definately. One thing I found after learning to crack duck eggs is to be very careful going back to chicken eggs or I crush them when I hit them as hard as I did to crack the duck ones!

Piotr, my 2 1/2 year old male, lives in a good sized custom built duck house. By lives, I mean sleeps. They are out wandering in the garden all day long until about 6 p.m.

Posey, my 7 month old female, climbs the stairs and comes into the garage at night and then heads into her good sized dog crate.

But I've been thinking that it is probably time for Posey to sleep with Piotr in the duck house. I'm sure he will appreciate her company and she will actually have more room than in the dog crate. 

I use wood shavings that I purchase for the floor of the duck house, and clean them out every other day or so to keep it fresh and pretty clean. I work the shavings into the soil of the garden and it all stays quite tidy.

San Francisco allows ducks as pets so there is no problem with having them in the city.

Go Giants!!!
I am glad to hear that SF allows pet ducks and your setup is great. Similar to my coworker's deal with his pekin and harlequin. These days they go inside their enclosure the same time yours do. I don't have ducks myself but I love them. And John's pekin Kenzy is a big darling flufferball with webbed feets.

I hope the Giants can pull it out. Had to turn off last nights game when they got behind.

Julie

hey everyone
when I first got my little ones they were all grown and there were 3 females and one male but now I am down to one male and one female when would it be a good time to get more girls and if I was to get another male would my male fight with the new one this is kinda all new to me I have only had these guys for a year my family and I rescued them from a neighbor and brought them back to a healthy state

Back
Top Bottom