Pekin Duck Club!

Food is always a powerful motivator. I feed mine peas (thawed frozen peas), and they follow me anywhere for them. Picking them up is another story! I have one that hates being picked up, two that don't mind, and one that will jump up and down flapping her little stubby wings if I'm holding someone else instead of her. I think it's a personality thing for each duck. My poor Swedish FREAKS OUT  when you pick her up. Screams and cries and tries to get away. My Cayuga will snuggle down into the crook of my arm making happy peeping noises the whole time she's in my lap.

Long story short: Peas.

Thank you! Someone else recommended peas and I tried it yesterday. I brought them inside and put them in my bathtub to contain the mess. (And, wow, did they get those peas everywhere!) They were so cute and fun to watch though. They certainly liked my hand while I was giving them the peas that's for sure! They came running to it after they figured out that's where the peas were coming from lol. Hopefully if I just keep at it they'll eventually learn I'm the pea giver and like me.
1f60a.png

Thank you! Someone else recommended peas and I tried it yesterday. I brought them inside and put them in my bathtub to contain the mess. (And, wow, did they get those peas everywhere!) They were so cute and fun to watch though. They certainly liked my hand while I was giving them the peas that's for sure! They came running to it after they figured out that's where the peas were coming from lol. Hopefully if I just keep at it they'll eventually learn I'm the pea giver and like me.
1f60a.png

That's the plan! I can get mine to come running so I can pick them up out of their brooder and put them in the tote to move them outside... but I have to have peas. Bribery. It's a good thing.

Can I lay pea gravel(Idk how to spell it) around their pen? Or atleast around their water. They will not stop digging with their beaks and making mud, though I find it cute. Lol my boyfriend is a little peeved.

So I have been giving my duckies peas during their nightly bath. They love the peas, but eye me suspiciously the entire time, and if I move my hands at all they act like they are made of chainsaws, and go into a complete panic when I pick them up to go back to the pen. It seems like they are just afraid of everything, more chicken than the chicks!

That's the plan! I can get mine to come running so I can pick them up out of their brooder and put them in the tote to move them outside... but I have to have peas. Bribery. It's a good thing.

It's working well! It's a really nice day today so I took them out of the brooder to play in the yard a bit. I fed them some peas and they were actually following me around a little. And the more skittish one was a lot calmer when I held her! Yay for peas and progress!!! Lol

I have 2 pekin ducklings who are probably around a week old or less. One of them is a lot bigger so does that mean it could be a boy or just older? (How much bigger are boy ducklings than girls?)

Food is always a powerful motivator. I feed mine peas (thawed frozen peas), and they follow me anywhere for them. Picking them up is another story! I have one that hates being picked up, two that don't mind, and one that will jump up and down flapping her little stubby wings if I'm holding someone else instead of her. I think it's a personality thing for each duck. My poor Swedish FREAKS OUT when you pick her up. Screams and cries and tries to get away. My Cayuga will snuggle down into the crook of my arm making happy peeping noises the whole time she's in my lap.

Long story short: Peas.
Aaaaah, interesting and cute that the little one flapping her wings gets antsy when you are holding someone else rather than her.

Back
Top Bottom