Pekin Duck Club!

Ducks love slugs, snails, worms, potato bugs, on and on. we're wondering if the duck poo in our yard is making the slugs not want to go in it because last year we were throwing them out of the yard and I lost several veggie starts to them. This year we have to really look for them so Quack-Quack can eat them.
I gave Quack-Quack his name because I didn't know the sex either. I thought what would you say to a duck if you were a duck (Quack-Quack), I JUST found out with in the last week (thanks to Apyl (don't think I spelled it right) that Quack-Quack is a drake, Thank You but he knows his name now and pays attention when you say it. Quack-Quack I thought was also I good unisex name

I cooked a bowl of frozen peas for the ducklings. They inhaled it!!! It's like they haven't eaten anything in their 5 weeks on this planet. This makes me think they aren't eating the chicken pellets, crumbles, or scratch. I'm in way over my head here. In the 2 days they've been here, however, they are getting along swimmingly with the chooks and chicks. What should I be feeding them???

I love crested ducks! I wanted them so bad but couldn't find them without having to pay a fortune for them. My friends family had a few of them when we were younger we affectionately call them afro ducks.

Sorry so long for an update on Sally and waddlesworth, this is 5 1/2 weeks almost six. (Sorry for the messy cage photo this was before i cleaned them out.) We had a fire and lost four of our chicken babies. :'( the lucky ducklings and two of our bantams were in a different part of the house so they are ok. Sally I'm pretty sure is actually a hen. I am greeted with a chorus of honk quack quack quack each time i visit them. Still not sure on waddles tho. But I'm thinking drake. His peeps are very raspy even when he tries to quack.
OMG! I am so sorry to read this about you! I hope the human part of your family are doing well! It's always sad to hear about someone losing their home to a fire. Our furnance caught on fire and the house was full of smoke. I though that was bad, but it's nothing compared to you. I hope things are better. My heart goes out to you and the pets!

I love crested ducks! I wanted them so bad but couldn't find them without having to pay a fortune for them. My friends family had a few of them when we were younger we affectionately call them afro ducks.

Sorry so long for an update on Sally and waddlesworth, this is 5 1/2 weeks almost six. (Sorry for the messy cage photo this was before i cleaned them out.) We had a fire and lost four of our chicken babies. :'( the lucky ducklings and two of our bantams were in a different part of the house so they are ok. Sally I'm pretty sure is actually a hen. I am greeted with a chorus of honk quack quack quack each time i visit them. Still not sure on waddles tho. But I'm thinking drake. His peeps are very raspy even when he tries to quack.
OMG! I am so sorry to read this about you! I hope the human part of your family are doing well! It's always sad to hear about someone losing their home to a fire. Our furnance caught on fire and the house was full of smoke. I though that was bad, but it's nothing compared to you. I hope things are better. My heart goes out to you and the pets!

I read a couple pages back that someone is concerned about duck poo being bad for compost. I'm composting the poo. I don't know about acidity but it is high in nitrogen and replaces fish fertilizer for me. I also read in Mother Earth News that is a very good compost mixture. . . . . . . Maybe that person was just jealous, QOL. I actually had a friend (one of my best) actually putting down the idea of a duck as I was researching, in the end she now wishes she could get a couple.
I'm wanting to know if the poo is a slug deterrent because we haven't had ANY in our yard yet this year and can only find small ones if we go turning rocks over.ch is a good thing, garden pest control was one of many reasons for getting a "Green" pet.
Hi Green Liver,
I was at the home Depot, when I was garden shopping and a master gardener came to help me. It was her that told me their poo was highly acidic. I always use a 2 to 1 (chicken poop) when I set up the spring garden. I will contact UNH College garden section and check with them. I just though I'd pass it on to other as a form of more concern as I wouldn't want to ruin my garden. Our seasons are so short to begin w/. Check with your garden extension should you be concern.

I cooked a bowl of frozen peas for the ducklings. They inhaled it!!! It's like they haven't eaten anything in their 5 weeks on this planet. This makes me think they aren't eating the chicken pellets, crumbles, or scratch. I'm in way over my head here. In the 2 days they've been here, however, they are getting along swimmingly with the chooks and chicks. What should I be feeding them???

Peas are like crack for ducks I think. Mine can't resist them, even though I know they eat just fine.

Peas are like crack for ducks I think. Mine can't resist them, even though I know they eat just fine.

Same thing here Nickeechickee. P-Funk- Anything that is a "treat"...peas, cucumber, watermelon, lettuce, meat, scratch...they will inhale, after all it is a treat. Just remember ducks are creatures of habbit. If you give it every day they will come to expect it, if you give them too much they will ignore their food in favor of the less nutritious goodies. Don't worry about them, just monitor the level in their bowl. I am sure they are eating. In fact if they are pooping they are eating
wink.png
. I sometimes think it is a race track. In the mouth out the butt in what seems like no time flat.

Hi Green Liver,
I was at the home Depot, when I was garden shopping and a master gardener came to help me. It was her that told me their poo was highly acidic. I always use a 2 to 1 (chicken poop) when I set up the spring garden. I will contact UNH College garden section and check with them. I just though I'd pass it on to other as a form of more concern as I wouldn't want to ruin my garden. Our seasons are so short to begin w/. Check with your garden extension should you be concern.
I'm definatly going to looking this myself also. My garden is looking so good and I would hate to ruin it

Back
Top Bottom