Pekin Duck Club!

I am new to the forum and would like to say Hi to everyone!
This is our first experience owning a duck. We have a Pekin (female I believe) who is around 4 or 5 months old. I have a couple questions.....When do they start laying eggs? and....we are going to be making a cage /pen for her that's big enough for when she isnt out in the yard, but we have been keeping her in a wire cage off the ground that's just big enough for a Rubbermaid tub that we made for her to go into, hee food & water dish and a little room to move around. My question is...Is this ok for the time being until we get a bigger one made? We take her out twice a day for up to 2 hours to swim in pool and run around yard?

Last edited:
Hi, im new too!! I have 4 pekins about 3-4 months maybe older im not sure... I beleive theyre all female. Their fenced in area is 18×15 and there house is 8×4 my husband and I made this alittle bigger than regulation... the person who had them before me kept them in a tiny box without water... im trying to get them to trust me... as long as you take her out im sure she will be fine until you can get her something better!!

Hi, im new too!! I have 4 pekins about 3-4 months maybe older im not sure... I beleive theyre all female. Their fenced in area is 18×15 and there house is 8×4 my husband and I made this alittle bigger than regulation... the person who had them before me kept them in a tiny box without water... im trying to get them to trust me... as long as you take her out im sure she will be fine until you can get her something better!!

This is our first experience owning a duck. We have a Pekin (female I believe) who is around 4 or 5 months old. I have a couple questions.....When do they start laying eggs? and....we are going to be making a cage /pen for her that's big enough for when she isnt out in the yard, but we have been keeping her in a wire cage off the ground that's just big enough for a Rubbermaid tub that we made for her to go into, hee food & water dish and a little room to move around. My question is...Is this ok for the time being until we get a bigger one made? We take her out twice a day for up to 2 hours to swim in pool and run around yard?
Welcome Everyone!

I'm also fairly new to this and so I can't answer all of your questions,
MichelleF41, I think you should get her into a larger cage as soon as you can. They love to get the grasses and move around. I'm not sure how the wire is one there feet but in my ducks night time cage or for when we're away we have hardware cloth w/ hay on top. I open the gate and they can walk out to the ground. We
have a lot of animals that would like to eat them! You don't have to copy what my son made me for Mothers Day but I want you to see what I mean.

Great to have you join the club. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Michelle, She looks so cute. I wish I had a girl, By voice I think I have boys. O well, they were a gift from my son so I don't think he would like us to have them for lunch! ha ha!
wink.png

Welcome!!
Michelle - is your duck a house duck that you just take out outside daily? As for eggs, my two Pekin girls started at 24 and 25 weeks. They have laid every day for weeks, now that it's nice and warm!

duckmomma - It's so great that you are giving those ducks a nice home! Get some frozen, thawed peas - they will love you!

Welcome!!
Michelle - is your duck a house duck that you just take out outside daily? As for eggs, my two Pekin girls started at 24 and 25 weeks. They have laid every day for weeks, now that it's nice and warm!

duckmomma - It's so great that you are giving those ducks a nice home! Get some frozen, thawed peas - they will love you!
Hi, Boy I can't believe what a Mothers Day this has been for me this year! Yesterday, my hubby's gift came in and it was a 10.1 tablet! So I haven't taken a moment to work on the mash.. When it hasn't been raining I've been outside w/ my girls and the poor ducks locked up in their new home, that mt son gave me for Mothers Day! And my other son gave my hubby the money to build a 8x6 foot arbor w/ a planter that included clematis! WOW You saw the house in Michelle's posting but I can't find my camera to post my arbor! I'll get to the mash soon. Threes just so much to look at on this, I can't believe it!
Thanks again for all your help. Now I want to get more "Mash" and BOSS. Those eggs are starting to really cost. I hope hubby doesn't yell, ha ha

I would love to be apart of the club!!

I have recently started my little duck farm. We were shopping in Rural King and I fell in love with the little ducklings!! So I purchase 3 Pekin and 1 Rouen. Three days later I wanted more but I couldn't find them anywhere in my town, everyone had received there final shipments. After searching all day I came across some Pekins at Orscheln's. I bought two more. This brought my total to 6. 5 Pekin & 1 Rouen. Since I bought them from local farm stores they are not sexed. I have no idea what I have. Everything was going awesome! We started the little ducklings out in a large dog cage, used wood shavings for bedding, used a heat lamp, and fed them starter chic feed (un-medicated). They did very well. At around 3 weeks they were starting to feather and run out of room in the cage. So we built a coop. It's a mini barn, and a fenced In run. We moved them outside that week. They LOVED their new home. They have so much more room. I put them up every night in the barn. And every morning I open the doors so they can go outside in the run. They also have a toddler pool out in their run as well. Everything has gone smoothly until this past weekend. The ducks have been in the new coop for almost 2 weeks. They are a little over a month now. All of them seem happy and growing so well. I just have one that has recently started having problems. It managed to roll under the fence (a chicken wire type fencing that is supported by steel utility posts) I quickly ran to it. It seemed fine so I put it back into the coop and we instantly put stakes through the chicken wire at the bottom into the ground so they could no longer escape. Since this incident (about 3 days) it has been very wobbly on its legs. It looks as if it has no balance! :( it's such a sad sight to see. It just walks so slow and falls over. It doesn't get into the pool and I think it's because it doesn't have the strength to. It seems to be eating and drinking fine. Other than the balance and trouble walking it seems okay. WHAT COULD BE WRONG!!! This little duck use to be my little sprinter! I always had so much trouble catching it because of how speedy it was, now it just looks so helpless.
Someone please help me! I don't want to loose one :(

These are my baby's playing outside this weekend. They LOVE the water hose.
welcome-byc.gif
That so cute! I wish I could help. I'm sure there will be someone out there that will help. Go to the medical section up top in the form section. Maybe you can find some help there! Your so lucky they don't run away and such O took the hose out and tried that but they ran and huddled Cowards! ha ha Well welcome anyway!

Back
Top Bottom