Pekin Duck Club!

ooooook my pekin Pros! haha my girls are 9.5 weeks ( awwww i know
sad.png
time has just zipped by! ) they are def more independent now and love running around the yard all day - not staying right by mamas side but still have to have a view of her lol they are quite the lil flock w the chickens now when they want to be haha

yesterday while my husband was putting in the garden i took them out front w me so it was just me and the 3 girls - no chickens!- lol amazingly they act different away from the flock . anyways we were having a great snuggle cuddle fest lol honestly hasnt happened in a while - they've been going through a phase
hmm.png
- imprinted or not i hear that happens . .

i found a twig and was pretending it was a snake in the grass around them just for laughs .. Cookie & Webber - didnt care lol Charlotte- started head bobbing at it and chasing it ? when i would stop she would look at me like " i was playing mom!" then shes nibble the twig and bob her head real low at me ... id wiggle it and shed quack honk and bob chase it and it was funny really ... her sisters looked on like " What the heck?"

is this normal play behavior then ? or did she not like something ? she later came and crawled up onto me first my lap then my stomach and then... she thought she was a 7 lb parrot lol ouch my hair

ive tried looking up head bobbing in pekins but it all said neck stretched out and bobbing and this was up and down real low ...idk

any thoughts ?

All of our mallard derived ducks (pekins and rouens) do it, the Scovies don't. As far as I can figure out it is a just another way of communicating their feelings. They do it to the other ducks (and us) when they don't want to be bothered, are feeling frisky, fussing about being held, begging for treats, just happy...you name it they do it at that point in time. They usually stretch out their necks level with the ground when they are warning off something and/or going to chase something away. Basically.....it's all normal.
big_smile.png

That is a good question about introducing an imprinted duck to new ducks. Soleil just met her first duck a few weeks ago and it went ok I guess. They didnt attack each other hah. I was wondering the same though because I know someday I will want more and I want them to get along!

You have hens <3 That's great! You will be getting some big beautiful eggs from them. As far as the pool goes, I fill and refill everyday lol. I'm a spoiler :D

Soleil does funny things when we play and the head bob is one of them hahah it always gets me me laughing!
I can't remember where I read it (on the internet though) but I recently read that they "bob" their heads when they are having a conversation. It's different than chit-chat. I've notice Quack-Quack do it when we've been talking back and forth for a bit. It's more intense than just a "Hi". Idk. It seems to ring true with him anyways. Next time they start to bob their heads pay attention to see if they're really having a conversation with you.

I can't remember where I read it (on the internet though) but I recently read that they "bob" their heads when they are having a conversation. It's different than chit-chat. I've notice Quack-Quack do it when we've been talking back and forth for a bit. It's more intense than just a "Hi". Idk. It seems to ring true with him anyways. Next time they start to bob their heads pay attention to see if they're really having a conversation with you.

I started doing it back to her and she walks right up to me and lays in my lap now she even gets up and bobs around me while chattering . It's really quite a sight ;)

I can't remember where I read it (on the internet though) but I recently read that they "bob" their heads when they are having a conversation. It's different than chit-chat. I've notice Quack-Quack do it when we've been talking back and forth for a bit. It's more intense than just a "Hi". Idk. It seems to ring true with him anyways. Next time they start to bob their heads pay attention to see if they're really having a conversation with you.

I started doing it back to her and she walks right up to me and lays in my lap now she even gets up and bobs around me while chattering . It's really quite a sight ;)

I can't remember where I read it (on the internet though) but I recently read that they "bob" their heads when they are having a conversation. It's different than chit-chat. I've notice Quack-Quack do it when we've been talking back and forth for a bit. It's more intense than just a "Hi". Idk. It seems to ring true with him anyways. Next time they start to bob their heads pay attention to see if they're really having a conversation with you.
Mine also do this if they are warning off other animals or have found something interesting.

So how the heck am I supposed to put the diaper on the duck? I bought a duck diaper so Aflac could come inside...by the time I get the one leg in he's gotten the other one out...is there some magic technique?

Buddy system works for me when I have 2 put an apron on a few of my hens!
wink.png
I hope you don't think I'm being rude or impertinent but when do you need to put aprons on your hens???
And do the aprons have little chickens on them?
AND of you have taught them to cook tea for you then you are without a doubt an absolute genius!!!
bow.gif

I hope you don't think I'm being rude or impertinent but when do you need to put aprons on your hens??? And do the aprons have little chickens on them? AND of you have taught them to cook tea for you then you are without a doubt an absolute genius!!!
bow.gif
I've taught them to an clean and how did that shiny pot song go! This winter my RIR pecked the hell out of 2 of my prettiest girls feathers on their backs! So the apron covers it for them! Theres a few necks that are gettin bare also! Candy (butternut Americana) has a yellow chicken apron and Chaz has a black skull n bandana on...my avatar! Fits their personality!

Ahh brilliant! I have a turkey that will mind the house if you ask her to but she cannot cook and she always leaves the t.v. on. How ever did you do it? Your poor RIRs. Fortunately my Pingu doesn't do that but we often get some strange looking hairdo's...

Back
Top Bottom