Pekin Duck Club!

I think mon I'm gonna call Meyer and add one. What's one more?! I love how in 2 months I go from not wanting chickens to getting 4 and 3 weeks later place a order for 6 more chicks and 3 ducks. I blame all this on my hubby, the guy 2 houses down and chicken math (gets you every time!). You guys keep your chickens and ducks together? And what bedding do you use?

Sigh.... you are living my dream... I just do what I can on my little half acre though and I am so thankful that I can have ducks and chickens. Can't wait to someday have a milk cow and some beef.

If living in a van down by the river is your dream, then yes I am living it...
big_smile.png
. You'll have that stuff someday!!! I can't wait until I have a milk cow myself! I am learning a lot from what people can do with any amount of ground! I just love all this stuff!!!

Thanks 3acres. We have started the same in a small way. Since I have gotten my chicks and ducklings I have spent so more time watching them in the garage (brooder) Haven't even missed the TV. lol Sounds like you are busy....and very happy. Enjoy!!!!!

No better way of life, IMO! I am very busy!...and happy! Thanks, I will enjoy! You do the same!!!

Last edited:
POOR RIR! You got to be kidding! Their monster! If it what is that they are for the best egg layers They would be dead by now! they always have to be first in line?
Nope sorry.
duc.gif
I've just reread the post when I saw this. I thought that you had an RIR rooster pulling the wings from you RIR hens!
roll.png
I was in sympathy for your featherless hens. They are good layers though...

Sigh.... you are living my dream... I just do what I can on my little half acre though and I am so thankful that I can have ducks and chickens. Can't wait to someday have a milk cow and some beef.
You would be surprised what you can do with half an acre. I have barely three acres and I have fitted two farrowing sows, three breeding sheep and their lambs and a ram, three meat bullocks, two horses, two dogs, approximately 100 poultry ( chickens,ducks,turkeys etc.)
roll.png
, two cats, a vegetable garden and a house and a regular garden.... we do rent a field for grazing the sheep,horses and cows in the summer months but I don't think that that is bad going.... Of course if you gave up a few rooms in the house for the ducks and chickens to live in you could have the space to buy some more...
wink.png
!

If living in a van down by the river is your dream, then yes I am living it...
big_smile.png
You would be surprised what you can do with half an acre. I have barely three acres and I have fitted two farrowing sows, three breeding sheep and their lambs and a ram, three meat bullocks, two horses, two dogs, approximately 100 poultry ( chickens,ducks,turkeys etc.)
roll.png
, two cats, a vegetable garden and a house and a regular garden.... we do rent a field for grazing the sheep,horses and cows in the summer months but I don't think that that is bad going.... Of course if you gave up a few rooms in the house for the ducks and chickens to live in you could have the space to buy some more...
wink.png
!
I'm working mine as much as possible - zoning laws prevent some things but I am doing a lot of planting and truly enjoying all my birds. Oh, and we have had the occasional duck or chicken in the house for various reasons (that's why I keep diapers on hand), but haven't given them a room yet.
lau.gif

On another note, my Jumbo Pekin "Ping" has a really bad case of bumblefoot and the other girls have a mild case. I have taken photos and am recording my treatment methods to see what works without (hopefully) having to do my own surgeries or take to a vet. I will let you all know how it goes. I think I might have found the culprit - their metal washtub had some sharp edges. I removed that the other day, added some fresh shavings to their run and am treating with NuStock until the Koi meds come in - then I'm going to use those and see what happens...

I'm working mine as much as possible - zoning laws prevent some things but I am doing a lot of planting and truly enjoying all my birds. Oh, and we have had the occasional duck or chicken in the house for various reasons (that's why I keep diapers on hand), but haven't given them a room yet.
lau.gif

On another note, my Jumbo Pekin "Ping" has a really bad case of bumblefoot and the other girls have a mild case. I have taken photos and am recording my treatment methods to see what works without (hopefully) having to do my own surgeries or take to a vet. I will let you all know how it goes. I think I might have found the culprit - their metal washtub had some sharp edges. I removed that the other day, added some fresh shavings to their run and am treating with NuStock until the Koi meds come in - then I'm going to use those and see what happens...
Interesting. I think that I have a Duck with bumblefoot so this would be great!

Oh yeah and I created a different thread but only got one response I really should have posted here for the Duck info. I have a runner duck trio and the about 24 Pekins. I want to breed from Harvey and the girls again this year because some of the ducks are for the freezer
hide.gif
but I haven't a clue how long they should be separated for from the runner drake to ensure purebreds cause I don't think that the two would make a good mix. The runner drake (Billy) is separated off at the moment but how long will it be before we can harvest the Girls' eggs for incubation? Any ideas?? Thanks!
Anyone? Even a no, so at least i know, if you don't know, that you don't know if you take my meaning.
wink.png
Please and thank you!

Back
Top Bottom