Pekin Duck Club!

Thank you so much for your help! No bumblefoot or cuts....this is the first time she has let me pck her up since she was a baby. Gonna have to wait and see because no one in my area will look at her. What protein do u suggest?

Thank you so much for your help! No bumblefoot or cuts....this is the first time she has let me pck her up since she was a baby. Gonna have to wait and see because no one in my area will look at her. What protein do u suggest?
Rest too, put her away from the drake and give her minimal space so she has to rest her leg for a couple of days. As long as she is running with the flock and having to put up with the drake it will take a lot longer for her leg to heal. and yes good quality vitamins with niacin is always a good idea. Keep using the Epsom salts either in a wrap or soak her leg in a warm water bucket of ES. and water therapy just swimming around in the pool but without Mr. drake after her will also help.

Thanks countrygirl
big_smile.png
just a note of warning about Epsom salt. it is wonderful for sprains, swelling and inflammation, but is also a laxative so don't let your ducks drink the ES water, Their poppy is watery enough.
roll.png

Last edited:
When my drake broke Ying's leg, we put her on quail food. It has almost 30% protein and a strict no pressure regime. We did not let her get out of the coop by her self and she was isolated from my drake and other hen. It took almost a full month for her to heal. It is definitely wait and see.

welcome-byc.gif
All you Newbies!!!! Would love to hear about ya'lls Pekins. Well My little hurt hen has been put on isolation again, after a bout of loving from my drake she is bald from the neck down to her tail and still tiny compared to my other hen. Oh and my other hen should be laying any day!!! Yang is HUGE!!! That girl should enter a proud to be a big duck contest! Definitely glad we got to re locate Taffy our other drake, one drake and two hens is PERFECT. Thank you to everyone for the help!!

Hey everyone,
My ducklings will be a month old on 10th. 1 is really shy and doesn't like to be messed with. He runs, bites, and fights you when I pick him up. My other one will only come with treats and loves to snuggle at night. What am I doing wrong?

Oh also 1 of my ducklings makes the sound kinda like a mix between a frog and chicken. Like a fog horn. The other 1 is sharp and loud. Does that mean a female and a male?

Amiga & Miss Lydia - nice to see you on here!! Always appreciate all your knowledge and help!

Daphnes Mom - did you check the bottom of her foot - no bumblefoot? If there's nothing visible (bumblefoot, cuts, infections, etc.), then I would treat for a fracture/break. If you can't or don't want to spend the money on a vet, you can try wrapping it with some vet wrap - kind of creating a makeshift cast and see if that helps her get around. I would also increase her vitamins and protein intake just to help with the healing process. Other than that, I think it will just be a "wait and see"...
Ditto, you might want to get her into a lukewarm tub so you can closely observe how she - if she - moves the leg. Definitely keep up with the Epsom salts treatment. Remember - it's a laxative, so keep her from eating or drinking it.

And Hi, countrygirl74!

Back
Top Bottom